• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Slum Pictures I Think I Haven't Seen Before

Mike

I look at these sort of pictures and think, yes I lived in conditions like these in the fifties and early sixties and I have no doubt did many others on this forum. The difference being that a bar of soap cost hardly anything back then especially a bar of carbolic of which could be used to wash children or clothes. Yes we had neighbours who lived like that but as appalling as conditions were, it could not all be put down to the property. It was more likely down to inadequacy and therefore a social services problem.

Yes I agree Lyn. I never had access to a bathroom or inside loo till I left home to go to college ( and hated the spider out in the loo), but the conditions in some of these photos is, as you say, probably due to the people ina ddition to the houses

Mike

I look at these sort of pictures and think, yes I lived in conditions like these in the fifties and early sixties and I have no doubt did many others on this forum. The difference being that a bar of soap cost hardly anything back then especially a bar of carbolic of which could be used to wash children or clothes. Yes we had neighbours who lived like that but as appalling as conditions were, it could not all be put down to the property. It was more likely down to inadequacy and therefore a social services problem.

Looking at the pictures, I don't see any lack of soap. The people themselves look quite clean, as do their clothes in general. They're obviously poor, though, and surrounded by damp and mildew, rotting timbers, peeling wallpaper and flaking paint, things which cost good money to put right but which their landlords (council?) obviously didn't want to spend on. I see no fault with the people here; just neglect by those who should be safeguarding their welfare.

Regards, Ray T

Back