• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Slum Clearance 1959

adap2it

master brummie
Not sure if this has been previously posted, but I haven't seen it until now. Watching it made me a little annoyed...I felt very uncomfortable with the condescending dialogue, at least that was my take on it. No Brummie accents until the midway mark, just a heavy dose of BBC lingo among the hierarchy.

Dave A

hi dave ive seen it before and i get where you are coming from....i shudder when i look at the last bit of the film showing a high rise block of flats and as one who lived in 2 bed high rise with 4 young children under the age of 7 they are the loneliest places to live in...once your door is shut you are cut off from the outside world....hated it and for the sake of sanity would much rather have been back at our nans back to back..

lyn

Last edited:
Just the term "slum" is derogatory. Yes, they were antiquated for sure, but for the most part they were inhabited by proud families that took care of them as best they could. I lived in a back to back house in Paddington St and never regarded it as living in the slums. I may be a little too sensitive with the issue of class distinction, but this documentary really exemplifies how "they" are perceived.
Dave A

Just the term "slum" is derogatory. Yes, they were antiquated for sure, but for the most part they were inhabited by proud families that took care of them as best they could. I lived in a back to back house in Paddington St and never regarded it as living in the slums. I may be a little too sensitive with the issue of class distinction, but this documentary really exemplifies how "they" are perceived.
Dave A
Dave, and that is what I lived in until the age of 10. The street was my playground! Never lived in those high rise that lyn talks about, just cant imagine!

Back