• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Slade Rd Erdington - painting

This is where I once lived, Hillside Road 1st left under bridge. This is my first painting this year , I have had a 'painting block', not uncommon among artistsView attachment 144590 I have had them before, just lose all ability to paint but its now returning.
Cookie
Brilliant, walked along that bit of footpath many times at that period when I was visiting my Nan in Queens Road and been on an errand for her.

Bob

Great painting Eric, and glad you back in the painting mood. I know that location well.

fantastic painting eric...i told you the painting block would go and just look how its come back...thank you

lyn

Nice painting Eric, what do you think of the style of Bob Ross? His old painting programmes are being shown on BBC4.

Pedrocut, I'm not a Bob Ross fan (although plenty people are) I find his work a bit chocolate boxy and garish, but that is just my humble opinion, he has quite a following also I am a fan of watercolourists rather than oil painters. I had tuition in Oils but after visiting a few water colour exhibitions I changed my medium to watercolour, a more difficult medium but worth the effort. Eric

Lovely painting, Eric, even though I don't know the area. All creative people have blocks and likewise they have perhaps one in ten days where their output is superb and everything clicks into place. At least you are not committed to a commercial timescale, so if you want to take a break until the urge returns then you can. Likewise your painting is all your own work and doesn't depend for the result on anyone else. Well done.

Maurice :cool:

Maurice, no I no longer exhibit or take commissions although I did do a couple of commissions for an old gallery last year, a buyer who bought 2 of my canal paintings 20 years ago wanted to know if I still paint if so she wanted 2 more ! Now I just paint for pleasure, most of them finishing up with forum members or family and friends. I did one for the West Midland Police of Steelhouse Lane lock up and one for a member for her church raffle last year of her Church. In my 40 plus years of painting I have exhibited over 600 paintings country wide and sold 250 but at 89 years old I simply no longer have the stamina and energy for that. Eric

Eric, quite right, it can very often not be as pleasurable if you are working to a timescale, or the subject is not one that you would choose yourself. That's why I liked playing jazz piano - most of the time I was choosing the tunes and the keys, and I could make each tune as long or as short as I thought best. Of course I played quite a lot of commecial gigs as well, if only because the money was better, but it is nice to be totally in control.

Maurice :cool:

Wonderful Eric. Good to hear that you're painting again. I remember walking down that narrow footpath in the 1950's, with Dad, on our way for fourpenn'orth from the chip shop. It was very dangerous especially if a bus came down the road as we were walking there. Nan lived at Bridge Road and I think the chip shop was at the end of George Road but for some reason I can't remember the shop itself. Was it still there when you were there

Wonderful Eric. Good to hear that you're painting again. I remember walking down that narrow footpath in the 1950's, with Dad, on our way for fourpenn'orth from the chip shop. It was very dangerous especially if a bus came down the road as we were walking there. Nan lived at Bridge Road and I think the chip shop was at the end of George Road but for some reason I can't remember the shop itself. Was it still there when you were there
There was a chippy at the end of George road, used to be run by an Arab family.

Yes Lady P, I remember the chippy but don't think I ever used it. My daughter went to Fentham road school. We lived there from 1962 till 87, the trams stopped running about 1952, I loved the old trams, my main form of transport for the first 20 years of my life, that's why I like painting them, sadly have to use old pics for reference. Eric

dont think i ever went on a tram...i was born in 1953 by which time i think they had ceased running...

lyn

dont think i ever went on a tram...i was born in 1953 by which time i think they had ceased running...

lyn
A mere child, the great thing about the tram was that no one complained about the distance between the platform and the the road, or that you got on and off in the middle of the road, or the rocking of the tram at speed especially on the reserved tracks. Great fun you missed a treat. The trams were loved by young and old.
Bob

The first tram ride I had would have been in the summer of 1946 after my father came home from the Army. It was on the 32 Lodge Road service where, somewhere along the route, my uncle Harry lived. The house was in a courtyard. He had a book which, on the occasions I was taken to his home when my father visited him, I was always given to read. It was all about the dangers of playing with fire.
I only got the tram ride there a couple of times as by March 1947 the route became the 96 bus route.
But that is not the end of the tram story. A few more years were still available for tram rides, until 1953. ;)

Still on the subject of trams but also about how your memory plays tricks. Every Friday we went, straight from school, to see Nannie Woolley who lived by Witton Lakes and from there we would go to Nannie Bennett's at Salford Bridge. This must have happened many times however, I can only remember getting on the tram at the terminus and certainly not getting off it at all. Would the tram stop have been where the 65 stops now, still in Slade Road, just before Copeley Hill?

Back