• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Slade Rd Erdington Garage 1940/50s

Mike Fisher

Billesley Boy
Can anyone tell me the name of a garage in Slade Rd Erdington between the Star Picture House and the Brookvale Public House.(130-166 Slade Rd from directories)

A picture of the cinema or pub would be good

Re: Garge in Slade Rd Erdington 1940/50s

in 1950 kellys theres a "slade road services garage" but this is at 360 slade road.

I don't remember there being a garage between The Star and The Brookvale Pub. I remember a tall wall between the two. As Shera mentions there
was a garage at 360 Slade Road. This I remember and it was there for many years probably into the l960's or even l970's

Mike.
I lived just off Slade Rd from 1958 to 1967 and I honestly don't remember a garage where you mentioned. I do remember that part of the old cinema was used as a used car lot and there were often cars on the car park up for sale. Sorry but I can't remember the name of the company.
The Garage that Shera mentioned was "Bonners" and that was on the corner of Slade and Victoria Rd's. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

If it`s the one near Victoria, I know someone who worked there, and have a pic somewhere Dave

Hi chocks2: I remember the garage at Victoria and Slade Road being Bonners. Thanks for reminding me. There is still a garage at 360 Slade Road called Marsh Lane Autos according to the Internet. Also, I remember there being cars for sale at the Brookvale Pub end of the The Star's frontage and
as mentioned previously the whole place became a car showroom and then closed down.

This was in May 2006, the older pic will take more time to find

Wow Dave...that's it. I think it may have had a few owners over the
years. I always remember trying to look into the upper office from the 65 bus. Thanks for posting that picture so fast.

More

My mate Ray second from the left, behind the young one

Great photo Dave....some of those people look familiar...most of them probably lived not far away.

Thanks jennyann, but I should have stated thats Ray`s pic, Thanks to Ray

Far right is Norman Bonner, the owner until about 1970 or so

Morning Dave, Knew you would post the pic of Ray and fellow garage workers, Slade Rd, could not find my copy, well done!. Len.

Back