• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Skinner Lane

A

alpech

Hi, does anyone have any photographs of the court houses on Skinner Lane or did anyone grow up in that street and could share some memories of what life was like on the street - not sure what year the houses were demolished.

Alison

Hi Alison. my gt grandperants lived in Skinner lane in the late 1800s. I believe they were demolished in the early 60s to make way for the multistory car park next to the Silver Blades ice rink.A part of Skinner Street still remains running from Pershore st to Bromsgrove st its about 100 yards long but has no buildings on it. The next street up is Claybrook st, it has simular housing and was demolished at the same time. If you type Claybrook st into the search engine at the top of the page you will see some photos.

My Mom, Maiden name, Jessie Emma Luck (RIP) was born in Skinner Lane 1885 and lived there until she was married, she took a school test and left school at 12yrs of age and started working and after she married and had 7 children she opened a shop in the front room of our house in South Yardley which was from 1929 to 1966, she was a super Mom and passed away at the age of 88yrs. Photo, my Mom 18yrs & 76yrs (in the shop).

Hi thanks for your replies. I really can't imagine what life must have been like in the court houses, great photos lencops, your mum sounded like a lovely lady. From looking on the map Skinner Lane doesn't look very long so our families may have known each other depending on how long they all lived there. I am only at the start of my research but I am so facinated with the history side of things. My grandfathers parents were brush makers, this must have been quite poor and lived a hard life.

Look foward to hearing more.

Alison

Hi. I was born in 21 skinner lane, in 1951. Lived there until I was six or seven years old. I remember well the conditions that we accepted as normal at the time. Although, looking back, they sound a bit Dickensian now. No kitchen, no bathroom, not even a toilet of our own. We had to get dressed in the night if we needed to go to the 'lav', walked down the street and up the entry into the back yard. There were two toilets at each end of the courtyard, for use by maybe a dozen families.

In the house itself some people didn't even have electricity. Old gas mantles and leaded grate fireplaces for cooking on. a sink with a cold tap under the stairs, to wash in, with steps going down to the coal cellar. The bedrooms were decorated with newspaper on the walls, with whitewash on.

Hi robo i was born in skinner lane in nov 1951 back of foulkes shop i knew sheila and raymond our house number was 6 back of 50 i went to st catherins school

Hi robo i was born in skinner lane in nov 1951 back of foulkes shop i knew sheila and raymond our house number was 6 back of 50 i went to st catherins school
Hi John and Maggie, remember you both so well and was good to hear from you on here. Hope you are still on here now to get my reply

Back