• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

SIXPENNY HOSPITAL FUND

Hi mike
There used to be a regional office for that sat 6d hospital funds
Down on the old summer lane as to many years ago had it had a big huge poster up on boards
It was in a block of offices with a wall in front of it
If you was heading from new town towards the city it was just passing Briefly street
And there was a pub right on the street corner next to it
We had that on our weekly wage slip on our wages at Radex electrical Edward road Ladywood
It at the bottom of kingedwards red now facing the island at the back of symphony hall
And at one time years back now redundant building and taken over by the car tax vech, government
I do not k what is there now either at old summer lane nor Edwards rd the property of being
Radex. Electrical exist our kid my oldest brother was on the maintenance team around the company
He was an electrician there,he served five years Apprenticeship at the old MEB board chester street
Aston, and he was with four other guys as the Apprentice putting up the very first football team
Namely Aston villa flood lights way back in time then, and they all featured in the birmi them mail
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,

My husband pays into the BHSF through his salary.

It can be used to get a percentage off the price of spectacles and dental treatment and payments for such things as having to spend a night in hospital.

These days however the contributions are pounds rather than pence.

So its still in existance then?. I used to pay into it in the mid 60s, most workers did then.
It was a helpfull fund in those days if you had to spend time in hospital.

The convalesent home at Kewstoke was for some time women only.However,there was a place for men,in Weston-super-mare.Around the corner from the Kewstoke home is a pub, "The New Inn"and at 10pm.there used to be a call to get the paitients back to the home.
Hi my mum went to the convalescent home in Kewstoke Weston. See the attached photo ivy Stephens front row far left0123ED04-D660-4A62-B1D6-DA6A2EA8B355.jpeg

Back