• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

SIXPENNY HOSPITAL FUND

johnedward

master brummie
I THINK IT WAS CALLED THE 6d HOSPITAL FUND BUT I DON'T REMEMBER MUCH ABOUT IT ONLY THAT I THINK MY MOM WENT AWAY AFTER AN OPERATION AROUND 1954/55 AND SHUSTOKE IF ITS SPELT THAT WAY COMES TO MIND IF ANYONE OUT THERE COULD HELP I WOULD BE OBLIGED
THANKS JOHN

hi john
          i remember it , my mother was sent to blackwell, i think its bromsgrove, after her operation,to convalesent home, she also was sent to western after another operation, i think it was called the saturday fund but not 100% sure

jake

Jake it was called The Saturday Hospital Fund and it started in the 1800's with collecting boxes (See Pic) Still going strong today

It was called the Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund and was started by a Dr. Gamgee, when it started workers paid ld a week deducted from their wages, of course as time went on the subscription increased by it was never a large amount, and you could pay extra if you wished to cover dentists, opticians etc.

John I think the the convalescent home you referred to was Kewstoke, near Weston super Mare. It only closed a couple of years ago, and is now something like upmarket spa, or holiday apartments, can't remember exactly.

The Saturday Hospital Fund was first started with voluntary donations collected on street corners before developing into what it has become today

By coincidence into night's Birmingham Mail, Carl Chinn's column - it mentions this subject "Dr.Joseph Sampson Gamgee, a doctor who founded the Birmingham Saturday Hospital Fund , whose headquarters are at Gamgee House, just off Monument Road. He also lives on in the person of Sam Gamgee the most loyal and resolute companion of Frodo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings".

I believe the BHSF originated to raise funds to build and then run The General Hospital.

Sylvia's statement that it was called the Hospital Saturday Fund fits in with my recollection. When I worked for the Corporation in 1955-59 I used to pay 6d a week to the HSF, as the deduction was called on my pay slip. I don't think it was compulsory, but I seem to remember most people used to subscribe to it.
Peter

Romsley Hill Hospital was built in 1913 from funds collected by the Birmingham Saturday Hospital Committee who also paid for the cost of treating Birmingham residents, mainly for treating tuberculosis and Consumptives the Hospital was closed in 1980 and turned into luxury flats 
Blackwell was also used by the BSHF

johnedward said:
I THINK IT WAS CALLED THE 6d HOSPITAL FUND BUT I DON'T REMEMBER MUCH ABOUT IT ONLY THAT I THINK MY MOM WENT AWAY AFTER AN OPERATION AROUND 1954/55 AND SHUSTOKE IF ITS SPELT THAT WAY COMES TO MIND IF ANYONE OUT THERE COULD HELP I WOULD BE OBLIGED
THANKS JOHN

John I think you mean Kewstoke its by Weston-Super-Mare.

Nick

BHSF opened Tyn-Y-Coed, the Alfred Stokes Memorial Home in 1892 which was close to Llandudno for men only and just up the road was Marle Hall the womens convalecent home
Kewstoke opened in 1932

Just as a footnote to what Sylvia was saying..........  Gamgee I think was Gaffer Gamgee originally in stories Tolkien told to his children. Tolkien brought the name back to to fore as Sylvia has said in LOTR. In 1880 Dr. Joseph Sampson Gamgee invented and had his name used for what we now call Cotton Wool, it was previously called Gamgee Tissue. A thick wad of cotton wool between two layers of gauze.

The first meeting of the Hospital Saturday
Fund was held on 6 January 1873. John
Skirrow Wright was in the chair, Sampson
Gamgee became Honorary Secretary and
Robert McRae the paid assistant. Ambrose
Biggs, as Mayor, accepted the office of
President. Of the Committee that was
assembled at that first meeting, two members,
Councillor William Cook (later to become Sir
William Cook) and Lawley Parker (Gamgee's
brother-in-law) were destined to be for many
years not only a part of the Hospital Saturday
Fund but also extremely active in the public
life of Birmingham.
At that first meeting, Gamgee suggested that,
in addition to street collections, the workpeople
of Birmingham be invited to work overtime
on one Saturday afternoon in the year,
especially to donate their earnings to the
Hospital Saturday Fund for distribution to the
voluntary hospitals. Meetings were held in all
the large factories and the campaign was
received with great enthusiasm.
Saturday 15 March 1873 became the first
Hospital Saturday. The collection amounted
to £4,215 2s 5d. Expenses totalled £470 but a
prominent Birmingham citizen, G F Muntz,
gave a cheque for £500 which more than
covered the expenses, doing so "as a mark of
esteem for the noble effort and independent
spirit shown by the working men". This
meant that the whole of the £4,215 could be
distributed to the medical charities of
Birmingham. In an age when wages ranged
from 15s to 20s per week, this result was truly
remarkable and surpassed all expectations.

The Saturday Hospital Fund was started nationwide in the 1800's
Gamgee started the Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund in 1873

John, this is the type of letter your Ma would have recieved........

My Dad in his spare time canvassed for the Saturday Hospital Fund! And so I was able to to Malvern Wells Convlescent home for kids through its donations!

Last edited by a moderator:
H S F

My niece was sent to the Malvern Wells to convalesce after having a hole in the heart operation at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, in the early sixties. We went to visit her there, what beautiful grounds surrounded the house. Jackie

I was sent convalescent for a month because of my asthma i remember my mom &dad took me to ludgate hill to the offices and a taxi took me to The Uplands convalescent home in Bromsgrove
i was only about 7 or 8 so it was 1958 or 1959 ,i was told that they had boys only then girls only on alternate months .
i think the youngest dorm was called bluebell and the oldest was called noel but i dont really remember the name of the dorm i was in .
there were swings in the garden behind the home and i think a tennis court
couldn't have been very far from the lickey hillsbecause we used to take sunday afternoon walks there
if anyone remembers more about the place than me i would like to hear from them ,i have often wondered over the years if the place still exists after 50 years some of the memories seem like a dream lol

I have a photograph of a group suggested to be at Tyn-Coed Convalescent home.

The group includes my Great Grandad (Sat on wall, 4th from right) who I know stayed at both Tyn-Y-Coed and at a convalescent home near to Weston Super Mare on a number of occasions.

The building and bay window in the photograph doesn't seem to match any that I can find of Tyn-Y-Coed.

Can anyone identify the location in the attached photograph?

Thanks for your help

Jason

Thanks for this thread, I've learned a lot about BHSF.

Duck57
To me your picture looks very like the same palce as the picture in the attached link
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22372
mike

Thanks Mike, I can see similarities in the building. Although the bay window in the link seems to leave the building at a 90 degree angle, my photograph has the bay window at a much softer angle.

I'm pretty sure it is Tyn-Y-Coed, but really want to confirm this in some way if I can.

Thanks
Jason

hi do you know what date this photo was taken.i have a letter here from a herbert w Holland who was at tyn y coed 4th march 1946.i am wondering if he was convalescing after the war.

Summer - Apologies for the delay in replying.

Unfortunately I haven't got a definate date for the photograph. My Great Grandad (Sat on wall, 4th from right) was born in 1898, from other photo's I'd guess that the photo was taken some time in the 1930s?

Other forum members may be able to confirm or challenge this based on fashions of the period?

Jason

Hello there, I think in the pre nhs days most men were in some sort scheme to pay for Hospital care, my Dad was on the GWR as a carter and
he was in several of these you had to be really, you were not mollie cuddled by the state in those days it w as quite the workhouse but not far
off it. I wonder if people n owadays know how lucky they are to have the
health service, with all its faults, can you imagine life without it.
Tough times dont last, tough people do Gregory Peck 1916/2003
Bernard67Arnold

This is a photo I put on a long time ago about a convalescent home where my dad stayed. He is on the photo. Mossy went and sorted it out last year. Jean.

Back