• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Six Ways Aston

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures
taken from Google Streetview.

Attachments

• Aston Six Ways 1949.jpg
    Aston Six Ways 1949.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 106
  • six ways.JPG
    six ways.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited by a moderator:
And a few more.

Attachments

• Aston Six Ways.JPG
    Aston Six Ways.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Aston Six Ways Baptist Church  .jpg
    Aston Six Ways Baptist Church .jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Aston Six Ways Underpass.JPG
    Aston Six Ways Underpass.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator:
Ray if there are 6 pubs it would take longer surely than 15 minutes?? Moss obviously goes straight there just looking at Churches. lol

Many thanks to you both

Alf,
I was thinking Victoria Rd.,Upper Sutton St.,Clifton Rd.,Upper Thomas St.and Tower Rd.

image.jpeg This view of Six Ways Aston shows Victoria Road and the Baptist Church straight ahead and High Street off to the right. The very ornate bank with the turret on the right has gone as has the chemist's curved building to the left, although the row of buildings next door to the chemist's shop are still there today. This is the corner where Birchfield Road meets Witton Road. Even in the early 1900s this junction of roads was a busy road and of the 6 roads which met at this point, five had tramways passing through here. No wonder there's a policeman on duty to help people safely cross the road(s). Viv.

image.jpeg

View attachment 111990 This view of Six Ways Aston shows Victoria Road and the Baptist Church straight ahead and High Street off to the right. The very ornate bank with the turret on the right has gone as has the chemist's curved building to the left, although the row of buildings next door to the chemist's shop are still there today. This is the corner where Birchfield Road meets Witton Road. Even in the early 1900s this junction of roads was a busy road and of the 6 roads which met at this point, five had tramways passing through here. No wonder there's a policeman on duty to help people safely cross the road(s). Viv.

View attachment 111989
How very bland it looks now
Dave A

Hi Mossg
just looking at your reply to carolyn saying 3 quarters of a mile from the aston cross
as ray said i think he was right , to be technicaly and to be honest as an old athlete
and a runner of miles i was say to be honest a 2 mile distance would be appropiate
To old six ways Aston, but sayin that i would not be surprized if it was 2 and half
and if the truth being know on foot half an hour walking it, if you was reasonably fit
best wishes as always Astonian,,,,,,,

The distance would be less than a mile, straight up Park Lane, walked it many times between 10 and 15 minutes,

looking up the lozells road 1880s t riches and son was at no 2 lozells road as it joins with alma st..also a map showing no 2 lozells roadlozells road map showing no 2.jpg

six ways looking towards lozell road 1880.jpg

Last edited:
In the drawing post #17 there seems to be a set of toll gates. But where exactly was this ? I can’t find any mention of toll gates at Aston Six Ways. There was one on Birchfield Road (near the old Crown & Cushion) but no mention of one at Six Ways. The roads which joined at Six Ways include:

Birchfield Road
High Street Aston
Lozells Road
Witton Road
Alma Street
Victoria Road

The one road with toll gates and the white house seems to be very raised up. Could this have been the junction of Witton Road and Birchfield Road ? On Streetview Birchfield Road rises up at that point. I just can’t seem to fit with the terrain shown in the later photos of Six Ways posted by Ian and Lyn - accepting obviously that this junction has considerably changed since the 1970s underpass development. Is there any description of the drawing anywhere ? Any date perhaps ? Or even a more precise location (ie the roads shown in the drawing) ?
Viv.

Last edited:
i think the drawing on post 17 should be ignored as i also do not think it is right...i will most likely delete it to save a long running debate as its doubtful we can prove anything

lyn

Back