• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Situation Comedy

Yes I remember and liked "never mind the quality feel the width", the Jewish Tailor made the jackets and the Irish tailor the trousers. What was the Jewish actors name ? Eric

Thanks Elizabeth, by pure coincidence that video was released June 28th 2010, my 80th birthday (off topic I know sorry) Eric

Yes, I cut my sitcom teeth on the Army Game (unless Bill and Ben counts as a sitcom). I'm trying to revive Bootsie's catchphrase: "Still, nemmind eh?". (With limited success.) I liked William Hartnell as the sergeant and followed him into Dr Who quite seamlessly ...

Has the Rag Trade come up yet?

Last edited:
Yes, I cut my sitcom teeth on the Army Game (unless Bill and Ben counts as a sitcom). I'm trying to revive Bootsie's catchphrase: "Still, nemmind eh?". (With limited success.) I liked William Hartnell as the sergeant and followed him into Dr Who quite seamlessly ...

Has the Rag Trade come up yet?

Did'nt he say.... "I'll punch him up the throat":)

Thought "Sykes" was always good, gentle, humourous and even believable. Saw the one with Peter Sellers in in the "Hattie" fest a few weeks ago.

THE ARMY GAME

Frank Williams... Capt. T.R. Pocket / ... (45 episodes, 1957-1960)Alfie Bass... Pvt. 'Bootsie' Bisley / ... (35 episodes, 1957-1960)Harry Fowler... Cpl. 'Flogger' Hoskins / ... (31 episodes, 1959-1960)Bill Fraser... CSM Claude Snudge (31 episodes, 1958-1960)Ted Lune... Pvt. Len Bone (29 episodes, 1958-1961)Mario Fabrizi... LCpl. 'Moosh' Merryweather (17 episodes, 1959-1961)Robert Desmond... Pvt. Billy Baker (8 episodes, 1960)Geoffrey Palmer... Soldier / ... (8 episodes, 1958-1960)Harry Towb... 'Cass' Dooley / ... (7 episodes, 1959)William Hartnell... CSM Percy Bullimore / ... (5 episodes, 1957-1958)Charles Hawtrey... Pvt. 'Professor' Hatchett (5 episodes, 1957-1958)Bernard Bresslaw... Pvt. 'Popeye' Popplewell (5 episodes, 1957-1958)Marjorie Rhodes... Mrs. Snudge (5 episodes, 1957-1960)Norman Rossington... Pvt. 'Cupcake' Cook (5 episodes, 1957-1959)Geoffrey Sumner... Maj. Upshot-Bagley (4 episodes, 1957-1958)Percy Edwards... Cad Wallader / ... (4 episodes, 1959)Michael Medwin... Cpl. Springer (3 episodes, 1957-1958)Arthur Mullard... 'Basher' Briggs / ... (3 episodes, 1958-1959)Dick Emery... Humphrey Hetherington / ... (3 episodes, 1960-1961)David Nettheim... Professor Fanshawe / ... (2 episodes, 1959-1960)Robin Ford... Court Orderly / ... (2 episodes, 1959)Michael Stainton... Dental Sergeant / ... (2 episodes, 1959)
Jack Allen... Maj. Upshot-Bagley (unknown episodes, 1958)Bernard Hunter... Capt. Pilsworthy (unknown episodes, 1958)C.B. Poultney... Maj. Geoffrey Gervase Duckworth (unknown episodes, 1958)Keith Smith... Pvt. 'Professor' Hatchett (unknown episodes, 1959)Keith Banks... Pvt. 'Cupcake' Cook (unknown episodes, 1960)Penelope Keith(unknown episodes)

Well done Chris. Reading the names brings back so many memories

Here's a link to a website that will fire up all your old TV memories ...

Great link, Izzy! It just happens to include an excellent account of the Army Game. It appears that William Hartnell left after the first five episodes (1957), but came back for the last series in 1961.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Army Game cast list Frothy, I remember the series well. Alfie Bass as Private Montague "Excused Boots" Bisley was my favourite. "Still, nemmind eh?" indeed.
Michael Medwin (cpl Springer) went on to higher things - he became a film producer in the late 60s, but still acted in a few selected roles.

Faser, Bass and Hartnell head the DVD set box.

MV5BMTY0NjQ5NTA0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODU5NjY5MQ@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Shame you all missed out I.T.M.A. - with Tommy Handley and ''can I do yer now Sir?'' - long before we got the Telly! - I was about 10, but it was surely a Sitcom was it not? dontheturner

last year we went to homefirth to collect a tractor. i had a look at the church yard were compo is laid to rest. the village is nice the but sure is a long way to travel. from here. radiorails just reminded me.

Last edited:
It must some form of reflection on present day attitudes to life that the old comedy shows are so popular and little of humorous value, if anything, has replaced them. Fawlty Towers is being screened again, late in the evening Last evening the Goumet Night episode was transmitted.' A line that made me laugh (probably did on previous occasions) was when Sybil, Basil and Andre (a friend and French Restaurant owner) were planning the event. Sybil, after a drink or two, was getting carried away with it all; Basil remarked "help yourself to another vat of wine dear". Most of the other well known lines are recorded here, but I think that one escaped the net. :laughing:
I have seen the hotel, in Torquay, that gave rise to the series (don't come looking for it, it was demolished last year)
the building in the tv show was elsewhere n the country, Kent? possibly? The article mentions the owners, at the time the Python folk stayed there - a Mr. Donald Sinclair and his wife Beatrice.
Afficionados:D of the Midland Red will recognise the name, but it was not DMS in retirement.

Back