• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sisters of Charity, Northfield

maireadenright

Hello,

I hope it’s ok to ask a question on a first time post. I am interested in finding out more about the Sisters of Charity convent in Northfield.

A “refuge” for women and girls was established there in 1905. I believe it was a children’s home in the 1930s. I understand that some women were sent to the convent on probation in the 1950s (and perhaps earlier/later). I am not sure when it stopped providing services of this kind. I think it was also called St Mary’s Refuge or the Maria Training Home, at different times.

In the 1939 Register, most of the residents are described as inmates, engaged in laundry work. Most of the nuns have Irish surnames but the women’s surnames vary. The Sisters of Charity had a range of similar institutions in Ireland - we would refer to them as Magdalene laundries.

My grandmother’s younger sister was a Sister of Charity and I have found her living at the convent in the 1939 Register.

I would be especially interested in knowing where the associated burial ground is but I am really interested in anything at all that is known about the institution.

I am wondering whether any local historians have written about it, or whether any of you have connections to it. (Full disclosure: I am an academic - but not a historian - and know a fair amount about similar institutions in Ireland but this is my first foray into English equivalents).

Grateful for any pointers. Obviously archival access is limited at the moment - and access to religious archives can be difficult.

Last edited:
Welcome.
Some Catholic burials would have, and still do, happen at Oscott College (more correctly St Mary's College Oscott). This is the local seminary. Records are probably at St Chad's cathedral archives.
Not sure what other Catholic churches might have had a graveyard.
Other than that, depending when she died, it might be a Catholic section of a council cemetery. Do you have a date of death? What was her name?

Northfield - Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Refuge on Bristol Road. Selly Park is a different order - they are the Sisters of Charity of St Paul.
The Bristol Road convent no longer exists if you mean this place: http://northfield-uk.blogspot.com/2015/01/northfield-priory.html
I also think the order as it was in 1939 no longer exists as several similar orders have merged. The convent I was thinking of in Northfield is:
This is listed under the parish of Northfield Our Lady and St Brigid - I suspect nuns in a small house helping in the parish.
Address: 2 Maryland Dr, Birmingham B31 2AR
Phone: 0121 475 6232

A few references to the Refuge

July 1925...For many years chaplain at Northfield, Rev James O'Hanlon.

Sep 1938 Dame Edith Cadbury held a fete in aid of the Roman Catholic Girls Refuge of Our Lady of Charity.

Jan 1928 Play staged at the Convent attended by Canon G. Price.

Nov 1959 Search for three girls missing since the end of October all under 20. Two from the Convent.

Hi my Great Aunt was also a sister at this convent run home in 1939 (also she was the sister of the Archbishop of Birmingham Thomas Williams). I would suggest contacting the archivist at St Chads in the first instance. Other contributors are correct that Oscott ( and also The Friary in Olton) were where most Catholics were buried at this time but only if you had some money or had a family plot in the city. at this time the convent was a Catholic charity for homeless girls between the age of 15 and 19

Hi Greg - thanks so much for this, and for the reference to your great aunt. I'd be interested to discuss this further. I have progressed a bit in my research and my understanding is that there was a small cemetery on the convent grounds. This is now on private property, but based on the newspaper obituaries of other sisters, I assume that she is buried there. I have also since located her death certificate and know that she died young, in 1955. A very brief reference in an Irish newspaper suggests that she was a novice at Northfield rather than undertaking her training in Ireland.

In 1964 I worked for a building firm and we did quite a lot of work here. There were quite a few girls there at the time and we were turning one large dormitory into individual rooms. Most of the girls were working and would go off during the day. There was two parts to the Convent and the one part was for girls who needed refuge.
As a 16 year old I got to know some of the girls and dated one of them. We were allowed into the Convent at the weekends to be with the girls. I can remember playing tennis there and then we would have something to eat and listen to music or watch TV in a large hall.
I wish I could remember the name of the Nun who was lovely and very easy to talk to.
More great memories.
The grounds to the Convent bordered the grounds for The Birmingham Orthapedic Hospital.

My mother was at this convent after coming from a childrens home in Coventry aged 16. she passed away last week and I’ve found some letters from a Sister Josephine and wondering if she is still alive or if anyone knows of her? I have addresses here and in Durkeany Co Meath Eire

My mother was at this convent after coming from a childrens home in Coventry aged 16. she passed away last week and I’ve found some letters from a Sister Josephine and wondering if she is still alive or if anyone knows of her? I have addresses here and in Durkeany Co Meath Eire
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, my sympathies to you and all your family.
I really cant remember the names of the Nuns. All those that I met were lovely. Someone out there must have more knowledge than me and I will see if I can find any info that might help you.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, my sympathies to you and all your family.
I really cant remember the names of the Nuns. All those that I met were lovely. Someone out there must have more knowledge than me and I will see if I can find any info that might help you.
Well I have spent a good hour looking into this and now know it was called the Convent of our Lady of Charity its the one I used to go to. As pjmburns posted on Feb 13 2021 it was at the Priory and its no longer there. The Priory was demolished in the 1990s so trying to find info is proving difficult. There must be people who were there or associated with it that would be able to help but I have no idea how to find them.

hi DFQ so sorry to hear of your moms passing...as ken has already said if you click on the linked janice posted on post no 8 there is info and photos of the building before it was demolished

lyn

Hello,

I hope it’s ok to ask a question on a first time post. I am interested in finding out more about the Sisters of Charity convent in Northfield.

A “refuge” for women and girls was established there in 1905. I believe it was a children’s home in the 1930s. I understand that some women were sent to the convent on probation in the 1950s (and perhaps earlier/later). I am not sure when it stopped providing services of this kind. I think it was also called St Mary’s Refuge or the Maria Training Home, at different times.

In the 1939 Register, most of the residents are described as inmates, engaged in laundry work. Most of the nuns have Irish surnames but the women’s surnames vary. The Sisters of Charity had a range of similar institutions in Ireland - we would refer to them as Magdalene laundries.

My grandmother’s younger sister was a Sister of Charity and I have found her living at the convent in the 1939 Register.

I would be especially interested in knowing where the associated burial ground is but I am really interested in anything at all that is known about the institution.

I am wondering whether any local historians have written about it, or whether any of you have connections to it. (Full disclosure: I am an academic - but not a historian - and know a fair amount about similar institutions in Ireland but this is my first foray into English equivalents).

Grateful for any pointers. Obviously archival access is limited at the moment - and access to religious archives can be difficult.
Hi I believe the convent was demolished and on the grounds was built Rosefields Sheltered Housing Scheme for the elderly. There is I believe still a convent there which now lays further back somewhere behind where Rosefields is situated. Rosefields is on Maryland Drive Northfield next to the Royal orthopaedic hospital.

Hello,

There is a small burial ground at the back of Rosefields, when stood in the building i once looked out of a downstairs window and could just about see it over the fence which separates Rosefields from the burial grounds. I would contact the nunnery which is now just around the corner from Rosefields.

Back