• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sir Robert Peel Pub, Peel St

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys
Does anybody recall the sir Robert peel pub in peel street Winson green and I was wondering whether or not as anybody got a picture of it they can
Put up on the forum as it as memory for me and may be I can down load it I have great memory of the area from one end to the other side of the Winson Green and the cape of good hope up to the windmill lane best wishes astonian

The Sir Robert Peel public house 77 Peel St Winson Green taken in 1967. The pub closed in 1977 and the street was demolished and rebuilt.

Attachments

• Winson Green Sir Robert Peel Peel St.JPG
    Winson Green Sir Robert Peel Peel St.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 55
hi phil
thank you very much for the picture its got my mind flooding back to the yesrter years and its as clear as yester years and recalling most of the street and the familys
dirctly across the rd facing there was a house where a certain young lady lived by the name of anne she was a tal attravive girl whom lived with her aunt
i used to court her she was clever i expect she as married a rich guy now i think alot of these familys from the green got shipped over to the kings heath area
thous were the days phil;well especialy for me at least alot of my old friends lived down the peel street
i will down load the picture and get it blown up and framed thanks again phil and thanks a million; astonian;;

Only just seen this. Lived in Peel Street almost opposite this pub during most of the 1940's and 50's. Lovely to see the photo, which was taken from outside our house or next door. Cannot recall the young lady Anne though. We moved out in 1960 and went to Harborne.

Hi, new to the forum. I have seen a post on the Sir Robert Peel Pub somewhere on this forum. My Gran Parents ran this pub during the Second World War and my Dad tended bar while also working as a volunteer fire fighter. I have tried to trace his history through the fire service however I have been told a lot of those records have been destroyed. My Gran Father died i that pub while living there. My mum met my dad there as well. He has passed away but my mother is still alive at 94 and is very interested in seeing any old photos of the time. My parents migrated to Australia after the war and I serve as a volunteer fire fighter in my local community so would be interested in any information about my father’s role back then. Hope someone can help

what was the address of the sir robert peel pub...i could be wrong but i think there may have been more than 1

lyn

yes ive got that one mike and another i think...just wanted to know if we had the correct sir robert peel

lyn

Edward Taylor was listed as landlord of the Sir John Peel pub in the 1883 and 1883 Kellys, but not in the 1880 or 1884 editions. The only record in the newspaper archive is later in January 1885, him taking over the beerhouse King William IV, in Bradford St

Back