• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sir Richard Knowles.

Charlie

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Just seen on the news that Ex Councillor Dick Knowles has died. He was 90.
He was leader of the City Council between 1984 and 1993, and Symphony Hall and the ICC were built under his leadership. He did a lot for Birmingham - maybe not always for the best, but I think he always CARED about Brum.

I had the pleasure of working twice for Sir Richard - once in his capacity of Leader of the Co-operative party and again as his secretary when he was Lord Mayor. A lovely, lovely man. Everyone was a "comrade"!

I remember the story he told me of when he walked through a door in the Council House and held it open for a certain female councillor. She refused to have the door held for her so he released it. As she stepped forward, he grabbed it again to hold it for her. She stepped back.... this went on for some time apparently!!!

I was very, very proud to have worked for him and he will be sorely missed.

Today's 'Guardian' paper has a good obituary written by Roy Hattersley to Sir Richard Knowles (1917 - 2008) - a man who did a lot for Birmingham. It was during his term of office that the Symphony Hall and International Conference Centre were brought into being, but the greatest mark he left, according to the notice, was the reorganisation of the education service.
Roy Hattersley describes how, after he had opposed Knowles' proposals for a motor race through the city centre in the early 1980s, a notice in Knowles' handwriting appeared in the custodian's room at the Council House: "Roy Hattersley is not allowed to leave his Land Rover in my parking space".
He was also among the first to try to humanise the grim network of ring roads and pedestrian subways, then only 25 years old. I wonder what he thought of the Birmingham he left. In hope he wasn't too depressed.
Sir Richard rest in peace!
Peter

Last edited:
I was interested to read that Sir Richard Knowles passing was very much noted in the press as it should be. He was obviously a man to remember.

In my opinion the building of the International Convention Centre
and the Symphony Hall in particular, marked a huge turning point for the City of Birmingham in the City Centre. The heavy industrial era was coming to a close in the way the City had always known it and future plans had to go in another direction completely. The result is something to be exceptionally proud of. His theories on Education were acted on in a remarkable way also.

Back