• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Singer Sewing machines

Obviously this lady has not trained her lazy family to make their own beds. Washing up depends upon how much - there nearly always is something in the sink at our house. Those might be the ideal conditions if you ragard sewing as a hobby, rarely do the ideal conditions exist!

Maurice :cool:

"Make yourself as attractive as possible" - I've been going about this sewing milarky all wrong for donkeys years. By the time you've done all those things it's time for bed Zeperdee !!!!. Viv.

My mum had a Singer, table top version with handle (not electric). Best machine I've ever used. Limited functions but so so easy to use and do all those basic jobs most people use a sewing machine for day to day. Viv.

My wife who is from Glasgow ( yes a mixed marriage ) worked at Singers prior to coming to Australia.
When we were younger Maggie did a lot of sewing, mainly on a trusty Singer treadle , if anything went wobbly the girl set too and fixed it herself.
Though we had another brand electric one the old treadle was her machine of choice.

My Nan had a treadle sewing machine, I think it was a Singer, later she had a table top machine.

Tim,

I agree. My late wife was a seamstress for most of her life. At one time in charge of the workshop of a school uniform manufacturer at the top of Broad Street, and after that mainly sub-contracted curtain making from many shops in the Bournemouth area including the Co-Op. She could always fix her old machines and said modern machines had no real guts in them and made her old machines seem like industrial ones.

Maurice :cool:

Back