• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Simpsons Fishmongers.

RobertS

master brummie
Hello folks

Does anyone remember when the branches of Simpsons disappeared from the Birmingham map? (Or why they all went?).

There are one or two photo's of the shops (I think Bull St has already been posted). I have an interest in the shops in Moseley Village and Solihull in the interwar years (and have posted before on this) but would love some more background details on the firm.

thanks

Thanks Mikejee and Alf.

Thats very useful Mikejee. It stretches the timeframe a bit and accounts for when I didn't see em go.

Thanks Alf, Ive done just that. Great minds think alike (or otherwise!). The people I spoke to didn't know or know anyone to ask.

They have just phoned me back. You were right it is the same firm. They were a bit vaugue about when the shops shut. Their best guess was 30-35 years ago. They don't know if there are any records or photo's but will ask.

Robert,
My wife and her aunt used to work for Simpsons at the Bull Street branch, the owners were Vic and Bert Gardener.
Over the years the various shops closed, the last one was in Stratford on Avon and this was run by we think Peter who was Bert's son, they relocated to a unit on a trading estate but it all came to an end about ten years ago.

Hi I used to work in the fish market during the sixties I started work at simpsons it was manged by a man by the name of Horace Martin after I moved elsewhere the stall was sold on although the new owners kept the simpsons name I dont Know if this applied to any of the other shops.

I remember Simpsons fish stores but now I am thinking about another chain of fresh fish sellers. They had an open front type of shopfront with all the fish laid out on white tiles. They had a shop in Dale End I remember near to the Bull Street corner. Ring any bells?

Hi sorry I dont Know the Name of it But I do Remember the Shop from what little i know most of the stalls were extended family members from fishmonger familys ie Pearces,Vickerstaffs etc,sorry I cant help more ?

Thanks for your replies...saved me another day of trying to remember who they were. MacFisheries it was. Thanks Len. I can remember the assistants washing down the whole place every work day and seeing the boxes of iced fish waiting to be laid out as I passed on my way to school. I also remember seeing the boxes of fish on the Queen's Drive entrance to New Street Station waiting to be loaded on to lorries for delivery.

I think MacFisheries was more expensive than the Market but their smoked
kippers were lovely...mouth watering again. Thanks otherhalf as well.

Hello there Derby

Thanks for the information. The owners names are handy. It looks as though you are right about the move to Stratford on Avon (See below) but it appears they are still in business (Ive spoken with them). They have a website.

https://www.simpsonsofstratford.com/

This be continuity of the firm not neccessarily of ownership.

thanks again

hello,,,,,i worked partime as a delivery lad in the very early 60s for simpsons , in moseley,,it was manged by jack,???,,and barry,,audrey the cashier,,i delivered all over as far as the maypole, it was a very busy shop,,,orders constantly being phoned in,,,i got 5 shillings for a saturday morning ,,,best regards john griffin,,,,ps tommy my late brother actually got the job i took over,

A neighbour used to come home in a Simpson's van. I don't know which branch he worked at. I think his name was Martin Michinson.

My Dad used to work in the Solihull Shop until it closed down his name was Alec Thomas he used to bring home all sorts of fresh fish and seafood love all types of fish

Hello folks

Does anyone remember when the branches of Simpsons disappeared from the Birmingham map? (Or why they all went?).

There are one or two photo's of the shops (I think Bull St has already been posted). I have an interest in the shops in Moseley Village and Solihull in the interwar years (and have posted before on this) but would love some more background details on the firm.

thanks
Simpsons had a shop in Moseley and Solihull High St in the 1970s .

My father managed the Mosely shop in the1970s their van livery was silver with blue writing . The owner at the time if iam correct was John Gardener.

My father managed the Mosely shop in the1970s their van livery was silver with blue writing . The owner at the time if iam correct was John Gardener.
what was your fathers name,,i remember the silver van with blue writing i was a sat morning delivery boy ,,i loved it ,,,and got to know every bit of moseley,,,john griffin, ps i recall jack the manager ,,barry and audrey the cashier,

Back