• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Simcox family Tilton Road Small Heath

Just to add sadly that the inscription would have meant that 2 had fallen before Henry
Albert Edward Simcox , Shropshire Light infantry, 9th May 1915, buried Perth cemetery,Belgium.
What terrible sacrifice for a mother to have to make, to lose 3 of her boys in 5 months.
Thanks Alberta, as soon as I looked at that photo, I did wonder how many of her children became casualty’s. My great grandmother (Mathur Pardoe) of Ward End) had fifteen children, two of whom also were lost in the Great War.

In a way, the whole of the family became a casualty of war.

I looked on the Hall of Memory records and the Simcox entry is:

Simcox A. The King's Shropshire Light Infantry Private First World War
Simcox W. Royal Warwickshire Regiment Private First World War

No entry for Henry

Yes - the article says he was "bemoaning the fact he was so badly injured in the Boer War" that he could not enlist. He was, however, allowed to sign on as a reservist.
He enlisted in the army reserve in 1914 at the age of 44 but was deemed unfit for service. His original record reads as follows.
1620739688704.png

1620739732372.png
1620739759851.png

Hi Everyone, I can't believe I have found this! Albert Edward Simcox is my Great-Grandad! We have hardly any information about him or the Simcox family. Thankyou for putting this on here. Does anyone have any more information regarding Albert or anything to do with the Simcox family or anymore newspaper articles about them. I'm very new to researching the family history so any help would be greatly appricated!
May be of interest to relatives researching this family. Press cutting from 1914. Source: British Newspaper Archive. Viv.

View attachment 157010

From military records it appears,sadly, that Mrs Simcox (Sarah) lost 2 of her sons in 1915

William , Royal Warks, 24th may 1915, Commemorated, Menin gate Ypes
Henry, Royal Warks, 25th Sept 1915. Commemorated at Loo.
his entry reads 1 of 8 brothers 2 who have fallen.

I looked on the Hall of Memory records and the Simcox entry is:

Simcox A. The King's Shropshire Light Infantry Private First World War
Simcox W. Royal Warwickshire Regiment Private First World War

No entry for Henry

A slight word of caution, there are 3 registrations for an Albert Edward Simcox in Aston in the 1870s. It does seem the first of them died young but that does leave one more apart from the subject of this thread.

Albert's parents seem to be George and Sarah (Fountain) - this means Albert was born in 1877
1639923897548.png
Ties in with a baptism 1877 at Holy Trinity Bordesley
1639924017262.png

Back