• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silversmith- Thomas Henry Manton - James Manton

D

dogwoodtravel

[FONT=&quot]According to Birmingham Reference Library, in 1881 T H Manton had a shop in Linwood Road, Handsworth, which is part of Birmingham. His father James Manton had a shop at 37 Great Hamton Street, Birmingham.
I have had associaters check with [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Silversmiths of Birmingham and their Marks:1750-1980. General editor Kenneth Crisp Jones and Jewellery Making in Birmingham 1750-1995- Shena Mason both with some reference to silversmiths called Manton. There is a possible James Manton but no Thomas Henry Manton.
If some kind soul has access to a trade directory between 1892 and 1900 could
they please search for Thomas Henry Manton and James Manton, Silversmiths during this time period. I am trying to find what year they died. Thank you.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I've got a copy of 'Jacksons Hallmarks' which lists all the makers marks for silversmiths in Birmingham, not a Manton amongst them, maybe too small to have their own mark or too insignificant to have it listed.

I do however have in my tree a Mary Manton born c1835, second wife of my gt gt grandfather Henry Taylor born c1816. E.

Thank you for your help

I don't know of any Mary Manton's so far around 1835. I will keep her him mind though.
I have the marriage registration for Thomas Henry Manton in 1876
and his father is James Manton, silversmith of Birchfield, Stafford.
Then I also have an 1881 Census of the widow Sarah A. Manton 48 yrs old
working as a Silversmith, her son James A. Manton 23 yrs old also a silversmith and daughter Emma E. Manton 21 years old, Sarah A. Manton 18 years old, William F. Manton 10 years old
This whole family lived at 179 Birchfield Rd., Stafford so I am tempted to
believe they may be the younger brother and sisters of Thomas Henry Manton who was already married and living on his own.

So that is where it stands.

Here are Sarah and some of her children in 1891:
Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical Parish: All Saints
Address: 57 Whitmore St

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born MANTON Sarah A Head W F 58 Living On Her Own Means Warwickshire - Birmingham
MANTON James A Son S M 33 Jeweller(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Aston
MANTON Emma E Dau S F 31 Club Holder(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Aston
MANTON Frederick W Son S M 20 Jeweller(Em'ee) Staffordshire -Hands'th
(seems William F is now Frederick W do you think 'Tom Harry' could have also changed his name around?).

Pom

Last edited:
Probably not relevent, but Kelly's 1896 and Peck's Trades Directory of Birmingham, 1896-97 both list a Henry J Manton (could the J be James?) at 105 to 110 Gt charles St, under Silversmiths Manufacturing and maker of Electroplated ware, pepper pots, assorted cutlery etc

I've got a copy of 'Jacksons Hallmarks' which lists all the makers marks for silversmiths in Birmingham, not a Manton amongst them, maybe too small to have their own mark or too insignificant to have it listed.

I do however have in my tree a Mary Manton born c1835, second wife of my gt gt grandfather Henry Taylor born c1816. E.
Alright it was twelve years since this thread was last used. But I work on the principle that on BHF someone will know the answer to just about anything. I don't believe that this has any link to Birmingham, but I found this, shall we say white metal dish which I like, for all of 10p in a local charity shop . It has "hall marks" and I was wondering if anyone out there can interpret them. Many thanks!
IMG_3200 (2).JPG IMG_3201 (2).JPG

It is a pretty dish especially for 10p! Unfortunately I think it's a "false hallmark", I can't see an Assay Office mark and the date is usually a letter not an actual date. However as you say there are some wonderful people on BHF who will hopefully know!!
rosie.

my Uncle was a Horace Manton, married to my moms sister, he was a master craftsman, tool maker and turner, I saw the other day a ref to the Manton brothers 18th C, who were gun smiths, I wonder if they ere the same family. Paul

Alright it was twelve years since this thread was last used. But I work on the principle that on BHF someone will know the answer to just about anything. I don't believe that this has any link to Birmingham, but I found this, shall we say white metal dish which I like, for all of 10p in a local charity shop . It has "hall marks" and I was wondering if anyone out there can interpret them. Many thanks!
View attachment 145025 View attachment 145026
These are Russian imperial hallmarks for St Petersburg, the date of manufacture being 1841. Rather more valuable than on the open market than an English equivalent of the same date.

Back