• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

SILVER, James George

brummielink

knowlegable brummie
I am having a problem finding any information on James George Silver.
I have found a marriage record - 24.10.1892 James George Silver (spelt Silves in Ancestry), age 31 (so dob would be 1861), working as a Castor, living at 5 Good Street, father James Silver (deceased) Gasworker - married Clara Nightingale age 27 of same address 5 Good Street. married at St David, Birmingham.
The next record I have is the 1901 Census where Clara Silver is a widow with 4 children (Florence, Elsie, Albert, Evelyn).
I cannot find any information as to when he was born/baptism, any census info, or when he died.
I wondered if you could help.

I have attached the wedding record.

Attachments

• wedding record.jpg
    wedding record.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
only had a quick look for now but i cant seem to find anything either..will search again after tea..i am also trying to place where good st was or is...i have heard of a goode st which was in hockley

lyn

Last edited:
Could it be Gooch St? St David's appears to be on Bissell St, which ran into Gooch St.

Also there is a marriage for a James George Adkins Silver to a Jane Newman, Bordesley 20 May 1883. Father's name is listed as James also.

Dob is a little different and I know he's listed as a bachelor on marriage to Clara but there doesn't appear to be any trace of them either.

The double surname could mean he was illegitimate and registered as Adkins and there is an illegitimate James George Atkins baptised 19 Sep 1858, Birmingham.

Might be worth checking the marriage certificate to see if anything else matches.

Also there is a marriage for a James George Adkins Silver to a Jane Newman, Bordesley 20 May 1883. Father's name is listed as James also.

Dob is a little different and I know he's listed as a bachelor on marriage to Clara but there doesn't appear to be any trace of them either.

The double surname could mean he was illegitimate and registered as Adkins and there is an illegitimate James George Atkins baptised 19 Sep 1858, Birmingham.

Might be worth checking the marriage certificate to see if anything else matches.

just looking at that marriage MWS the occupation of james george silver on his marriage to clara in 1892 is caster and the occupation on the marr cert of the james george adkins silver to jane newman 1883 is also caster ..father on both is also james but different occupations..on both marr certs james could not sign his name...i guess all this could just be coinsidence

lyn

There is a James Silver b1858 on the 1871 and 1881 census, 'son' of James and Elizabeth.

However James snr is living with mother in 1861 and single.

Last edited:
Can't tell if his father's occupation is gas worker or gun worker on posted certificate.

In 1871 the James I've mentioned, his occupation is listed as castor.

MWS you may have missed my post 6 and although i put i thought the occupations were different for the father i also could not tell if it said gas worker or gun worker.. :rolleyes:

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Sorry Lyn. There seem quite a few coincidences.

It seems more than a little likely that James George Atkins was the son of Elizabeth Ann Atkins who then 'married' James Silver.

There doesn't appear to be any marriage listed for them.

Elizabeth's birth year in 1871 and 1881 is given as 1838 and there is a birth registered for an Elizabeth Ann Atkins Bham Mar qtr 1838.

Sorry Lyn. There seem quite a few coincidences.

It seems more than a little likely that James George Atkins was the son of Elizabeth Ann Atkins who then 'married' James Silver.

There doesn't appear to be any marriage listed for them.

Elizabeth's birth year in 1871 and 1881 is given as 1838 and there is a birth registered for an Elizabeth Ann Atkins Bham Mar qtr 1838.

i agree MWS quite a few coincidences but nothing certain...as yet anyway..yet another of our mysteries

lyn

In 1891 James, listed as Silvers/Silvern, is living at 133 Cooksey Road with mother, Elizabeth. Occupation is listed as Bedstead Caster.

There is also a death listed for a James Silver Dec qtr 1899 Aston. Age is listed as 43 but could very well be him.

There is a James Silver b1858 on the 1871 and 1881 census, 'son' of James and Elizabeth.

However James snr is living with mother in 1861 and single.

just had a look at the 71 census elizabeth is aged 32 dad james is 26 occ gun barrel something.. son james 13 caster which means that dad would have only been 13 when james junior was born bit young i would say so not his son

i also found the 1891 death

lyn

Thank you for the responses.
So it's possible the 1891 death may be the father and the 1899 death may be Clara's husband. Looks like the only way forward is to order a death certificate for the 1899 James. I'll take a chance. I will add the result to this thread when doc is received.
Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
hi brummielink it is only possible but i always think that if we dont take a chance on obtaining different certs then we will never know...good luck and please keep us informed

lyn

Update...
Death record received:
1899 is the death of James Silver, and Clara Silver (maiden name Nightingale) is the widow.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back