• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Arthur yes I felt very sad to see these pictures. I remember the rivalry between the speed teams at the two rinks and I remember the competitions. I loved to watch the barrel jumping. There are some of the Silver Blades speed lads at the milk bar in the first picture on this thread.

New Birmingham Ice Rink

At last we are to have a re built Silver Blades Ice Rink by 2010
lets hope this one will cover all ice sports.
GOOD ON YA BRUM (at last)
ASTON

Going right back to the first post, I want to know which of those attractive young ladies is our Wendy. :wave:

Ruth Devaney nee Nicholl

Hi Does anyone have any old photos of people who went to the Silver Blades ice rink between 1972 and 1975 use to go there 5 nights a week use to go to Richmond ice rink with the mowhawks Malie Power was in the team and My best friend was Linda Carrington. ;)

Skaters

Moma P, Two of my cousins Skated at Silver Blades they both won medals and cups, names Maxine and Eileen they look like two of the skaters in your photograph but i cannot be 100 pc sure...Cat:)

I am looking for memories/ photo's/ posters etc of The 'N Betweens who had a residency spot 1968 at Silver Blades, The 'N betweens later changed their name to Ambrose Slade and then to plain Slade.

nbetweens-1.jpg

https://garybrum.blogspot.com/

I worked at the rink

I worked for alot of years (1980's till 1988) at silver blades before i moved to the U.S. I first was a red coat then i went to to the skate hire and then i became the zamboni driver and taking care of the ice & rink. I have alot of good memories, The speed session, The figure 8, I also played iceball if anyone remembers that game, And hockey for the birmingham eagles. It was sad to see the photos of the rink now.

Ice rink Pershore street

:( I used to skate there with friends many years ago. Was fortunate enough to visit it when I met an old friend whose husband still d j'd there. We were bowling downstairs at the time and she took us up. She worked there for years her name is Paddy. Can't remember her husbands name but he still had a mop of blonde hair. I miss the bowling alley as we bowled three leagues a week there. Can anyone remember the d j's name?. TTFN. Jean. :(

DJ at Silver Blades

DJ called Gil Martin - He pulled in some really big crowds and created a really good atmosphere on the sessions for about 15 years; in the late 70s and all throughout the 1980s until the rink was finally sold and shut down for 7 years in about 1989. Allegedly, as I heard it at the time, Mecca was reinvesting its ice rink profits (even the profitable ones like Silver Blades Bham) into Dance Halls and Bingo Halls etc - to the cost and neglect of its Ice Rinks, Birmingham included.

DJ at Silver Blades

DJ called Gil Martin - He pulled in some really big crowds and created a really good atmosphere on the sessions for about 15 years; in the late 70s and all throughout the 1980s until the rink was finally sold and shut down for 7 years in about 1989. Allegedly, as I heard it at the time, Mecca was reinvesting its ice rink profits (even the profitable ones like Silver Blades Bham) into Dance Halls and Bingo Halls etc - to the cost and neglect of its Ice Rinks, Birmingham included.

Silver blades.

:) Just before it closed when I visited it with a friend it was owned by a Greek business man. I miss the bowling as we had lots of friends there. :( TTFN. Jean.

Gill Martin.

:confused2: Pete. Was Gill married to Paddy who also worked at Silver blades and later at the bowl downstairs?. :confused2: TTFN. Jean.

Gil Martin

No, from what I remember he was tall with dark hair and his first name was Gil (male) and not Gill (female). He was married though, to a slim attractive girl - can`t remember her name. But as I remember her name definitely wasnt the female version of "Paddy". I never saw her in the bowl downstairs only in the Ice Rink with Gil.

DJ's at the rink

The other DJ was Eddie he use to ride a motor bike.Hey Pete,when did you stake at the rink you may know me if you went there alot. And yes Gill Martin was a kick a#$ DJ. Did you know anyone that worked at the rink? And did you ever watch a ice ball game? Paul.C

silver blades

hi paul c. i do remeber the the silver blades. went there a few times. this was after the spring hill roller rink closed down. sad day that was. i have read in the local paper that the silver blades will be reopening. i may once again put on the boots. cant guarantee staying on my feet these days though ha ha wales

DJ's at the rink

Hi Paul. Yes now that you mention it I remember Eddie the Organist. Also a talented Guy. He mainly worked on the Dance / Family Sessions but also did a couple of the "pop sessions" with Gil Martin. I mainly skated on the "pop sessions" (as they were then called). I remember a "Ron Hargreaves" and a "Kevin Dawson" also a freindly guy called "Olly" on the main entrance. Yes I also remember "Ice Ball" it was in its infancy and starting to become popular with the skaters in the late 80s.

such a shame to see the blades looking such a mess .i spent a lot of time in the 80,s at the blades and there are a few names from the past . just to fill every one in pete was that way. gill a1 dj .olly only worked fri and sat night on the door and drove a tr8. he lived up from great barr . any one remember tom hatcher and his son john they both worked on the door. tom worked at the now defunked rover . he also had a daughter ,anna she was a figure skater ,would love to know what shes up to know??? well i went out with her for about 6 months. the manager was a bloke called john hetherington . other names if you skated a lot .ally ,dalton, patrick,troy . well i said i spent a bit of time at the blades (did not skate mondays)easyer to tell you when i was not in the place .happy memorys.:)

Hi Rupertbear

You may remember me you may not? I worked at the rink at that time I was the Zamboni driver and i also had to work on the ice as a red coat on some nights. I also played on the iceball team if you remember that now that was great fun. I worked at the rink for 8 yrs then I moved to the U.S.A, I had 8 great yrs at the rink and thats were I met my wife. Here are some names you may know? Clive,Glen,Mikey,Roger all were red coats and worked in the skate hire. Jerry cleaned the rink. Jane worked in the cafe. Brian and me took care of the rink and the drove the Zamboni. Let me know if you remember any.

hi paul i can remember clive . i think it was a bloke called mick who drove the zamboni. the last time i skated at the blades was 84/85 there was no ice ball at that time so it would have been after 85. if you played ice hockey you prob new russel (russ) he went out with a girl called michalla (maggie) my sister.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back