• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silver Blades Ice Rink

I have great memories of Silver Blades in the 70s.
I was born raised in Rugeley and in 1974 started at Hagley Park Comprehensive. Not long after start of term a notice went up for an ice skating trip to Silver Blades. It was only 50p. which included the coach there and back and entry which seems pretty cheap even at 1974 prices. The coach left the school gates at 6:00 PM which got us to Silver Blades around 7. I can remember getting off the coach and walking up the ramp just as the queues were starting - because we'd pre-booked we were allowed to go straight to the front.
When we got in the skating had normally just started. Sometimes if we were a bit early there used to be some figure skaters (I assume they were part of a club based at the rink) just finishing off their session.
When you got in you went down the left side of the rink to the skate hire. On the way you passed a counter that sold ice cream and drinks - I was always impressed with how many ice-cream flavours they sold.
I remember the boots being very hard on your feet - I had blisters after my first visit and after that used to wear 2 pairs of socks plus football socks. Once the boots were on it was straight onto the ice. The first time I went I spent the whole night falling over and clinging to the sides but I soon improved and after about a dozen visits I was able to go on the speed session without being chucked off! The DJ was on the far side of the rink and if you asked him he would play requests - I used to ask for 'motorbikin' by Chris Spedding and he usually obliged.

We had to leave at 10:30. Before we left we would always go upstairs to the cafe for chips & gravy. The cafe was up a double flight of stairs and at the half-way landing there was a massive picture of John Curry on the wall.
I'm not joking when I say that these were the best nights of my young life! When you grow up in a place like Rugeley going to Birmingham is really exciting. My parents never drove and at 11 this was the first time I'd been to 'The Big City'. The great thing was we were totally unsupervised the whole night. 2 of our teachers came on the trip but after we arrived we never saw them agin until leaving time. I later found that as soon as we arrived they went straight to the bar and stayed there all night - I can't imagine a bunch of 11 - 14 year olds being left unsupervised all night happening now!
I probably went about 30-40 times between 1974 & 1977. I moved to the North-west and haven't been to Birmingham for over 15 years - is the rink still there? I seem to remember it being called 'Ice Magic' for several years.

I still have a 45rpm record, on laminated card, which I am sure that I bought at the Silver Blades ice-rink in the early 1960s. It is a Musical Memories Record Card of the show "Holiday on Ice". Dave.

P1020536.jpgP1020537.jpgP1020538.jpg

I remember Alex's in late 66. I was rocker and later67/68 they all started hanging out at a church in Deritend called St Basils which went under the name double zero club. i got engaged there they started to take blood to the hospitals on their bikes

Silver_Blades.jpg
Here's a photo of me and some friends at the Milk Bar in Silver Blades about 1970.
This was around the time we went from Naseby school to The Silver blades to do ice skating instead of P.E. remember it well as left school in 1971 to go to college

I think a good amount of us went to the Silver Blades, but for some reason I biggest memory from there was My Ding A Ling getting played over and over as the Beeb had banded it, for those it was a song by Chuck Berry

I went to the opening night of The Silver Blades. It was a Saturday in May/June 1964 I think. My dad had been given tickets for the opening. I had spent the day with my primary school football team at Wembley Stadium to watch the schoolboy international (England-Germany, 0-0 draw) and when I got back on the train to I think New Street Station (although in the morning we'd left from Snow Hill) my parents and sister were waiting on the platform and we went straight to the opening night. What a strange day of incredible experiences- although I do remember being incredibly sad on the Sunday to realise that the trip to Wembley I'd been looking forward to for months was now over and finished, and my night out at the Silver Blades could never be repeated. I remember going down to Cannon Hill Park with my best mate Paul Smith (who'd also been to Wembley) on the Sunday afternoon for something to do, and trying to describe to him how miserable I felt. Later, occasionally on a Saturday morning I'd go to the Silver Blades with my cousin Kenny. I was useless at ice-skating, but it was a fun morning- by then I'd grown out of the ABC minors at the Pavillion in Stirchley.

I went to the opening night of The Silver Blades. It was a Saturday in May/June 1964 I think. My dad had been given tickets for the opening. I had spent the day with my primary school football team at Wembley Stadium to watch the schoolboy international (England-Germany, 0-0 draw) and when I got back on the train to I think New Street Station (although in the morning we'd left from Snow Hill) my parents and sister were waiting on the platform and we went straight to the opening night. What a strange day of incredible experiences- although I do remember being incredibly sad on the Sunday to realise that the trip to Wembley I'd been looking forward to for months was now over and finished, and my night out at the Silver Blades could never be repeated. I remember going down to Cannon Hill Park with my best mate Paul Smith (who'd also been to Wembley) on the Sunday afternoon for something to do, and trying to describe to him how miserable I felt. Later, occasionally on a Saturday morning I'd go to the Silver Blades with my cousin Kenny. I was useless at ice-skating, but it was a fun morning- by then I'd grown out of the ABC minors at the Pavillion in Stirchley.
Have really fond memories of silver blades Birmingham.
I went there from 1966 thru to 1968. Didn't have much to do with any one who worked there or the mohawks.
But did most my growing up in as much as we managed under age drinking and meeting girls happy days.
Unfortunately in that growing up process when you meet someone you like you are to shy and naive to recognise the opportunity.
A lovely girl whose name was Jean and had a best friend called Carol I let slip through my fingers because of my ignorance girls can't wait forever she got engaged Andi assume married. When that happened I stopped going to silver blades ice rink. And went onto other things. One of the joys of the silver blades rink in the mid 60s was the number of pop groups appearing in the early stages of their careers such as Roy Wood ,Jeff Lynne and Steve Marriott. Any one remember those occasions?

Have really fond memories of silver blades Birmingham.
I went there from 1966 thru to 1968. Didn't have much to do with any one who worked there or the mohawks.
But did most my growing up in as much as we managed under age drinking and meeting girls happy days.
Unfortunately in that growing up process when you meet someone you like you are to shy and naive to recognise the opportunity.
A lovely girl whose name was Jean and had a best friend called Carol I let slip through my fingers because of my ignorance girls can't wait forever she got engaged Andi assume married. When that happened I stopped going to silver blades ice rink. And went onto other things. One of the joys of the silver blades rink in the mid 60s was the number of pop groups appearing in the early stages of their careers such as Roy Wood ,Jeff Lynne and Steve Marriott. Any one remember those occasions?

Yes, I remember bands at the Ice Rink, one was Carl Wayne and the Vikings (prior to the formation of the Move) and also the Way of Life (who John Bonham was drummer with).
They also had a band competition in collaboration with the Midland Beat music paper in 1966 and a local band who we knew won!

I must confess the bands were my attraction to the Rink, I could only just about manage to get round on the skates :laughing:

I never went to Silver Blades, I always wanted to but it was infamous here in Cov. Kids that bragged about going there. I liked that. My Brummie cousin was a good skater and wone medals. At silver blades. I ended up joining a roller skating club here. In a community centre. Next best thing then. I did a couple of dance competitions, failed miserably. But I did appear in Cinderella as a rabbit. The school took us to Solihull rink once and I was able to stand up and skate. Because of being a roller skater which was one in the eye for the bullies and braggers. Who didn't know I could skate. I skated in Rhyll next outside on concrete and made sure I stayed upright! I always was bottom heavy and I got muscly thighs and lots of bruises. Still have the big legs.

photos posted prior to 2011 were lost due to a forum hack but some have been reposted...such a shame the powers that be cant see their way to building us another ice and rollar rink..:( it would be great for city if they could do something for the younger community in general instead of building horrific sky scrappers much of will most likely lie empty for years...twas a very sad time for me when spring hill rollar rink went.. :(

lyn

Last edited:
DJ's at the rink

Hi Paul. Yes now that you mention it I remember Eddie the Organist. Also a talented Guy. He mainly worked on the Dance / Family Sessions but also did a couple of the "pop sessions" with Gil Martin. I mainly skated on the "pop sessions" (as they were then called). I remember a "Ron Hargreaves" and a "Kevin Dawson" also a freindly guy called "Olly" on the main entrance. Yes I also remember "Ice Ball" it was in its infancy and starting to become popular with the skaters in the late 80s.
photos posted prior to 2011 were lost due to a forum hack but some have been reposted...such a shame the powers that be cant see their way to building us another ice and rollar rink..:( it would be great for city if they could do something for the younger community in general instead of building horrific sky scrappers much of will most likely lie empty for years...twas a very sad time for me when spring hill rollar rink went.. :(

lyn
I went there from 1975 to around 81 people could hear me .I had a big loud voice and made the noise of a seal .I new wilf o Riley the speed scarer he was so small in those days he called me over once to meet his mom bless him Halloween night was the worst in the first aid room as lots of novices went over on burst balloons.

Last edited:
Back