• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Re: Ruth Devaney nee Nicholl

Hi Does anyone have any old photos of people who went to the Silver Blades ice rink between 1972 and 1975 use to go there 5 nights a week use to go to Richmond ice rink with the mowhawks Malie Power was in the team and My best friend was Linda Carrington. ;)

Hello Ruth,

I'm a former Birmingham Mohawk, (until the arena closed down) and just discovered this site but have been posting many photos of the Mohawks to Friends Reunited including some of Mally. Here is the link:
https://www.friendsreunited.com/bir...g-club/b/8e2373a8-8ba6-4523-9aae-99e2da87d4b0

Julian

Hi Julian,
I think my Mohawk racing was a few years before yours. Most of my photos can be seen in the SPRINGHILL ICE RINK thread and in many of my photos you can see my name.
I was at Springhill when it closed and Mecca would only allow figure skates at Silver Blades and did not want the Mohawks, so we had to go to Solihull, but Mecca soon changed their policy. If you click on the image below which links to the other thread, you will see many of my photos and also other skater's photos.
oldMohawk

Last edited:
Smashing photos!

My Father often spoke of the Spring Hill ice arena as he lived not too far away in the Cross Keys pub on Steward Street as a young man. Ken Pendry is the only person that I would know from the Mohawks during that era because he refereed many of the domestic and international races whilst I competed in the 80's. When I first started skating it was in Solihull but the Vikings had long since disbanded so a friend, John Debney and I started a new club called the Solihull Phoenix. We competed for a few years with good numbers but the interest from the community wasn't really there to maintain a team and pay for ice so when our numbers got down to just 3 of us we moved to the Mohawks. I trained with Willy O'Reilly, Stuart and Clive Pass, to name a few, and Dave Bodington was our coach. Willy and I went on to the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary, Canada where Willy won 2 gold medals in the 500m and 1000m which established short track as an Olympic event. I competed on the long track and smashed about 13 British Records that season but being new to long track I was never in contention for a medal.

Do you mind if I repost some of your photos to the Friends Reunited site? There are a number of Mohawks from around the world who have been visiting the site and sending me their photos to post and I'm sure they'd love to see yours too. I've suggested that a reunion of sorts be held in order to record as many Mohawk stories as possible for posterity so that someone could potentially write-up the history of the Mohawks. Harry Spragg returned to Birmingham from Australia in January of this year, 2013 but heavy snow meant that a small informal reunion had to be abandoned.

If you have the time and inclination I would love to hear of your exploits as a Mohawk and those of other Mohawks if you are still in contact with anyone. I know so little about the origins of the club and would like to know more. Dave Hampton and Dave Bodington sent me the Mohawks 1950 year book that Messers Tipper, Blundell and Hurdis put together which made me think that we need a complete history of the Mohawks or at least a collection of memories gathered. If you would rather do this privately via email then let me know.

Chat to you soon,

Julian.

Hi Julian,

I notice that I have 97 posts in the 'Spring Hill Ice Rink' thread

There is also a Spring Hill Roller Rink thread.

A search for 'ice' or 'rinks' in 'advanced search thread - titles only' finds them. In 'Todays Posts' a click on the number just to the right of 'Replies' pops up a 'Who Posted' table of everyone with posts in that thread, and a click on the number by a name gives a summary list of all posts the chosen name has made in the thread.

So all of my Mohawk skating memories and photos are in my posts on the BHF, and you can post my skating photos on FR, I notice some are already there.
You may be aware that the BHF got seriously 'hacked' in 2011 and all images were lost from posts. I did edit mine back in but made a gallery' from copies of all the total images so they could be seen.

Much of our comments in the ice rink threads are not only about speed skating, much of it is about the fun we had, there was something about the old ice rink that seemed magic, but maybe it was more to do with our youth and the general optimism of the 50s and 60s. We were so naive we thought sneaking out of a fire exit and tip-toeing on skates to the pub across the road was very decadent!

I have to confess that I never really took to Silver Blades, maybe by then I was thinking of a career and marriage. Looking at my Mohawk photos shows how amateur it all was compared to later times, we had no helmets and no protection - memories now fading somewhat - it was more than half a century ago!!

Phil

Last edited:
Hi Old Mohawk. I too did the same, but broke my ankle in the Club 1/4 mile Champs on the Wednesday before the National One Mile Champs. The British 1 mile was won by my brother Eric, and In the club Champs, I was racing against my other brother Brian. So can you guess who I am?

Hi Former Mohawk - I certainly do know who you are, nice to hear from you. You may have already seen the photos in the other thread.
Eric and Brian are in some photos and I think you might be in a group photo towards the back on the right hand side, but it's so long ago I could be wrong. I've been watching the speed skating in the Sochi Winter Olympics and wished I was young again !

Last edited:
Yes, I've been watching too and think that probably you, Eric and Jack Dymock could give them a run for their money. That's if you are who I think you are. PR?

flyers on ice.JPGFinding this site promted my to dig out the only picture I have. It's from the TV Times 1965 and is to do with Speed Skating from Silver Blades featured on World of Sport introduced by Eamonn Andrews.

I remember my father talking about ice dancing at Silver Blades in the 1950's. Sadly he is no longer with us so I can't ask for more details but from memory he was part of an ice dance team at Silver Blades. He lost all of his front teeth when he was young (20's?) in a skating accident at the rink. Does anyone remember such a team?

Hello Addy - Welcome to the forum.
There was an ice dance club at Silver Blades but this rink did not open until the early 1960s so if it was the 1950s your late dad remembered it might have been at the original Spring Hill Ice Rink which had a very active ice dance club. Silver Blades had a barrel jumping team which I imagine had a few falls and crashes. There are some photos of the Spring Hill ice dance club amongst a collection of photos in another thread
oldmohawk

Last edited:
Re: I worked at the rink

I worked for alot of years (1980's till 1988) at silver blades before i moved to the U.S. I first was a red coat then i went to to the skate hire and then i became the zamboni driver and taking care of the ice & rink. I have alot of good memories, The speed session, The figure 8, I also played iceball if anyone remembers that game, And hockey for the birmingham eagles. It was sad to see the photos of the rink now.
Didnt Dave took over when Tosh left? I use to work in skatehire as well. use to help the old chap who use to work in the gents side his name was Bill, Clive was down the ladies side. then there was Ethel the accountant who use to bring her dog in early Sat morning I had to make both her and the dog a very weak and milky tea, I did night security at the weekends, I use to skate all night. Those were the good old days. We form a group called the flying aces and use to go to a different ice rink at least once a month. Clive use to head that one up. Had a go at racing with the bham mowharks, use to race in the B team. Wed night was couch party night which mean the ice would turn to a swimming pool by the end of the second speed session. thats when we use to go wild and sprayed everyone. If you went home dry after a wed night session you certainly didnt have a good time. The figure of 8 was deadly especially when those inexperience skaters got on there with the blue boots and use to be going the wrong way since they didnt have a clue what was going on. I remember we use to have tug of war on the ice when Kevin was doing the djing just before the speed, think this was on a Sat night. And Spanner was a redcoat at the time, I wonder what ever happen to him. Ahh the fire exits:adoration: I think I better not say anything about that, lets just say lovely memories

Hello Addy - Welcome to the forum.
There was an ice dance club at Silver Blades but this rink did not open until the early 1960s so if it was the 1950s your late dad remembered it might have been at the original Spring Hill Ice Rink which had a very active ice dance club. Silver Blades had a barrel jumping team which I imagine had a few falls and crashes. There are some photos of the Spring Hill ice dance club amongst a collection of photos in another thread click/here
oldmohawk

Thanks OldMohawk. I think my dad must have started at Spring Hill and moved to Silver Blades as I do remember him talking about both now you have said the name. I have looked at the photos but will need to get a magnifying glass to see if I can spot him in any of the ice dance team photos. It's frustrating that i can't ask him for more information.

used to go the blades nearly every night in the 74 76 period except tues n thurs when it was closed if my memory serves me right was the womans speed im on fire by 5000 volts the djs then were kevin king and rod toms good old days my friend was kim ferran god was she fast she had a sister named julie and a brother called tony shame to see the state its now in

Me too!!! I remember KIm. I was a redcoat I the 70,s I remember Keith Hughes, and many others. I spent most nights there and loved it

Great pic of the Grinsell brothers. I hadn't seen this one. Seen many others from Dad's (Eric) collection.

I used to go from 1973 onwards and loved the music and DJs, I remember the speed skating session too as well as the slow pairs.I also remember being there the Sunday after the Birmingham pub bombings and we had a bomb scare and had to evacuate the rink and onto the street outside , does anyone remember this?:rolleyes:

Yes, I remember the bomb scare and being evacuated via an exit at the back of the rink under the bar. I used to go from 1972 to 1980, the only nights I did not go were Tuesdays & Thursdays (family sessions) I practically lived there, even went to Samantha's nightclub Friday & Saturday after skating.

for any photos of silver bladesplease help
l
There are quite a few skating pics in this thread, as a start have a look at the link below .... you should be able to see them, just click on the small thumbnail pics. There is also a large pic of the outside of the ice rink in the second link. Click on the links to see.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5021&p=460263#post460263
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5021&p=426169#post426169
Due to forum software problem the above links are not working ...
ps. I notice in your other post in 2012 you were asking how to see the photos and no one answered. If you still cannot see them please advise what operating system and internet browser you are are using and we may be able offer advice.

oldmohawk

Last edited:
Back