• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Hi I will see if I can find the photos and let you have the link.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

The Smiths - no luck so far with FB but this link takes you to some photos on Google Images. many are of Silver Blades Brum

Thank-you Bernie for the link do hope some of the members may have some photo's to post.

Kind regards............

hope this is a new one to the forum and will bring back the memories for those who used to go to the silver blades..

oldpics007.jpg

Brilliant pictures and soundtrack-thankyou!
I only visited there a couple of times on youth club trips from North Warwickshire-but it stuck in my mind! Where was it exactly?
Anne

I worked in the cafe on a Sunday in the early 70s under a woman called 'Mrs Spittle.' I sure outside work she'd have been a lovely woman but during the working day she was dreadful!!!! Does anyone remember her?

Well I did it, last month June, I visited the Silver Blades with a friend that I used to skate with, we were able to see the ice rink once again, we had to enter from the
bowling alley, it was not the place it used to be, it is shame what has happend to the rink, I was able to take some pictures and was just very happy to be able to
visit Birmingham again, it brought back many happy memories of time long ago when as a teen I spent so many happy times at the old Silver Blades, lets hope one
day it will return to its former glory.
Andrew Hope.
To see our photos use this link to our web page. Thanks. Andrew and Cynthia
https://hamiltonstampclub.com.c11.previewyoursite.com/PhotoAlbums/album_1342228726

Hello Wendy, hope to come back in October this year, may have time to visit the Blades again if I get up to Birmingham. It was so nice to be able visit again. Cynthia and me were very good friends some forty years ago, so nice to see each other again after all that time.
How do you put pictures in a post here?
Andrew.

hi andrew so pleased you got to visit brum again and the ice rink...smashing photos thank you for sharing them with us all

lyn..

Hi Andrew what lovely pictures I haven't been inside Silver Blades since the 1970's. It is nice to see it open again. Hope you and Cynthia had a good time. x

Hi Wendy & co, something that might interest you guys, when I heard a couple of years ago that they were going to bulldoze the rink and effectively build an apartment block with mini mall I was fairly racked off (for some reason one of the Brum Co councilors seems to have a 'bee in his bonnet about eradicating the place' !!!) , I work as a designer for a living and did some spec designs just to see how the place could be revamped, I've attached the exterior shots, there are some interiors as well (upload space) showing multi purpose layouts, general session, ice sports, ice gala etc. (wouldn't it be handy if we got 'Dancing-on-Ice'), A really intelligent corporation would grab the land next door (was earmarked for a hotel group, but.....) and extend into a multi purpose entertainment centre, Cinemas, skateboard park, creche, etc, etc, crossing over into the facilities (restaurant, bar, changing rooms) of the ice rink? certainly enough demand this close to the city centre. Anyway, have a look, would be interested in your feedback. Rgds Brian M (double click on images they will expand, double click again they open & magnify full size)
1 Brink Keynotes.jpg2 Brink Views Std.jpg

Brian your plans are amazing.I could just imagine the building as they are doing a lot of work now improving the area. If only your plans were given the go ahead, what an amazing place for youngsters and older people alike. Maybe one day

The Mohawks raced at Silver Blades through the 1960's and 1970's. A few pics from those years – long hair and moustaches as the 70's started....

1966 at a Silver Blades rink. Bill Jones and Roy Sanders.
Bill Jones was racing before 1950 so his career was long.

Pic_1.jpg

Late 1960's, England team. Skaters from Birmingham, Nottingham, Aldwych, and Solihull.
Pic_2.jpg

1973-74 The Chairman's Shield. Dave Hampton, Dave Boddington and Eric Grinsell at Silver Blades.
Pic_3.jpg

1970 Dave Boddington and Dave Hampton racing at Silver Blades.
Pic_4.jpg

Dave Hampton and Clive Pass, training at Silver Blades.
Pic_5.jpg

Last edited:
A few more pics ...

1969 British Quarter Mile final at Silver Blades.
L to R Phil Walker, Roy Sanders, Eric Grinsell.
Pic_6.jpg

1971 Scotland v England at a Scottish ice Rink.
Pic_7.jpg

1970 Eric Grinsell, Dave Hampton in a relay changeover.
Pic_8.JPG

1974 Dave Hampton (B'ham) and
Geoff Stockdale (Nottingham).
Pic_9.jpg

Last edited:
used to go the blades nearly every night in the 74 76 period except tues n thurs when it was closed if my memory serves me right was the womans speed im on fire by 5000 volts the djs then were kevin king and rod toms good old days my friend was kim ferran god was she fast she had a sister named julie and a brother called tony shame to see the state its now in

I played at silver blades on the Birmingham Eagles 87/88 and ice ball was late 85/86 then i left for the U.S in 88.Good,Good,Good years :) .

Hi Paul C. I came across this Birmingham History website because I was looking for the name of the new sport in the 1980s - Iceball! I have been trying to explain the game, its rules and its disciplines to my husband, but I can't recall if its disciplines were ice skating, American Football and Basketball? Perhaps you could confirm it for me. But I loved it anyway! I never missed a home game :) I wrote an essay on it for one of my pieces towards my English GCSE, which I had to read out in class, and Iceball became very popular at our school, I encouraged lots of new spectators with my speech!

I also enjoyed the all day skating sessions on Bank Holidays, plus the speed skating sessions.

Back