• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Don't you wish you could just turn back the clock and go back to the time we had in our youth, strap on the skates and have the best days of our life once again, would we make the same choices we made, or would we do something different, do you remember the friends we had back then who were very special to us and we let go, but never forgot, I think to me and many other people of Birmingham from the 60's and 70's that we had the most wonderful days of our young lives at the Silver Blades ice rink with some of the best memories anyone could ever have, how lucky we were to have been there, these are times in our lives we will never forget as long as we live. I am sure that you agree, the Silver Blades made us the person we are and for that we should be very happy we had our wonderful time there.
Andrew Hope.

Thanks oldmohawk,I think the second picture was 1970 or 71.Stuart Pass would know,he has visited this site.Maybe he will see it and let us know sometime.

I'm a bit late seeing this picture, but I think it must be a picture taken on the night of the Ashmore Trophy. The Mohawks are (from left to right : Harry Spragg (now in Australia), Clive Pass, Sid Ashmore, Stuart Pass (handsome as ever), Dave Boddington and Dave Hampton at the back

Perhaps I should have looked closer at the photo, I certainly knew Sid Ashmore, we held a few Mohawk committee meetings at his house in Sutton Coldfield. He looks younger than I remember !
I knew Dave Boddington and I think he's in a photo I posted of a race at Bristol Silver Blades.

Have been talking to my friend about how we used to go there in the school holidays - Tuesday mornings between 10-12 I think and it was wonderful - good fun and always good natured. We used to go from 1975/76 onwards. I'm sad to see the photos of it in disrepair - I thought it was up and running again! My Aunty met her husband there too in 1968 I think it was so it has great memories for us!

New prices for 2011:

Spectator Charge: £2.00, Ice Skating: £9.00, Bowling - 1x game: £3.00, Skate n Bowl: £10.00
Learn to Skate: £60.00, Ice Hockey Basics: £60.00,
Ice Toddlers: £5.00, Penguin Skating Aid: £3.00 and Pool: £1.00

Closed Monday's and Tuesday's. Open Wednesday and Thursday 12:00 - 22:00. Friday to Sunday: 12:00 - 24:00.
Last entrance 1 hour before closing.

They also have a Facebook page Facebook - The Leisure Box

Goodness even in this day and age £9.00 to go skating is a lot, if you have a couple of children who would like to go, plus a drink and maybe a snack, because I doubt you could take anything in with you, I think thats way too much.

thanks for the info ellbrown...i shall be going very shortly with my daughter...just hope i manage to leave the sides....:D

lyn

No problem.

That's inflation for you.

Having to pay more than £6 at the cinema these days, when only 5 years ago, you could pay £3 to see a film.

I hope that ticket prices get cut - they keep going up where ever you go.

No not any more!

A 3D ticket at my cinema (AMC Broadway Plaza - behind the old Children's Hospital in Ladywood) costs £8.50 at weekends (was £8 before the VAT went up to 20%). 2D at same cinema is now £6.75 at weekends (was £6.25 before VAT change). They used to charge (in the past) £3.25, £3.75, £4.25 etc. Then it went up £2 when 3D came in.

I am with you Bernard, used to cost me 2/6d for a session of skating at the old rink. Now I have to remorgage the house to take the family (Grankids).
Things like this are just like the cost of petrol, as long as we pay the price then they will never go down.
I say NATIONAL BOYCOTT is needed lol :0))
Sorry if this is part off topic !!!!

Decimalisation and Inflation!

Even bus fares have gone up (again). And they only put them up 6 months ago.

I wouldn't be prepared to pay those sort of prices to skate. When I went to Silver Blades in the late 1960's prices were far more sensible. I believe we are being ripped off left right and centre these day's across the board. As the Baron say's, 'as long as we are willing pay then nothing will change'.

Hi All, I used to go to Silver blades when it first opened. Do you remember Ricky the Dee? He was the disc jokey at Silver Blades & the Heart Beat club down stairs. I was one of the privaledged few that helped him sort his records out before each session at the weekend. That was the time when we had live groups each weekend and remember well the Kinks & Manfred Man appearing. The Good Old day's hey, you can't beat em!!

I wouldn't be prepared to pay those sort of prices to skate. When I went to Silver Blades in the late 1960's prices were far more sensible. I believe we are being ripped off left right and centre these day's across the board. As the Baron say's, 'as long as we are willing pay then nothing will change'.

maggs, do not go to the SNOWDOME at Tamworth then £8 in the week for 2 hours & £9 on Friday Nights for 2 1/2 hours (Friday mornings 10 till 1 the only time you get a longer skate for £8 ) & I used to think 2/6d was to much !!!!!

hi all....i went to the leisure box (as its called now) last night and had a lovely time:) i reckon £9 which includes the hire of skates for unlimited skate time from when they open till closing is very good especially if you consider the average footie ticket is £35...so on some days you could skate for 12 hours if you want...its a tenner if you want to skate and have a game of bowls:) food prices fair with a pound off for meal deals...if you do want to eat or play bowls just hand in your skates and redeem them when you go back up to the rink..the staff are most helpful as are the helpers on the rink as proved when i fell over:D:D oh its only £7 if you have your own skates...last night was quiet as its mid week but apparently fri.sat and sundays are packed...well our kim and boyfriend matt thought it was great fun and we will definately be going again....

lyn

Sounds great Lyn thanks for the update:). I am glad you had a good time even though you fell over like I did the last time I went:D. Michael has banned me now!:D

hi wend...i shouldnt have tried skating as far away from the edge as i did..nowt to grab onto...:cry: may try the bowling and skating next time...never played it but it looks good fun....will take some pics next time and post...

lyn x

You'll love bowling we take the grandchildren who love playing it for real rather than on the Wii. Yes take some pictures for us next time..x

I do hope the Ice rink topics on this site had some thing to do with all this interest in skating, Well done lyn ,when are you going next???

thanks keith..as you know my passion was rollar but i figured that ice skating was based on similar principles..well i was hoping it was till i fell:D going again next week..not sure what day but possibly fri..sat or sun...

lyn

His full name was Les Callender and we used to hang around the bottom corner where the Zamboni or Lissalp were kept!

Hello Wendy, greetings from Ontario
Just wondering about the name Parton you looking for, I have a friend in BOTrent names V Parton, is she known to you at all.
Andrew

Hi Andrew I am struggling to find my Parton family. It is quite a common name here I am looking for a cousin who was born Jenifer Parton in 1961. I don't know her married name or whereabouts. Her mother was Hilda Jennings who died about 1953/4.

Sorry that name is not iknown to me, my friend married a Parton so it may not be the same line that you are looking for.
On another note I will be in Brum maybe in September, may look up the rink if I have some time, still have so many happy memories of
my time there and the fun I had on Friday and Saturday nights way back in the early 60's, I reitire this month at the ripe old age of 65.
Can you turn back the clock please so I can put the boots back on just one more time.
Andrew.

Andrew my memories are a little later end of the 60's early 70's as you can see from the photo I posted at the beginning of this thread. I did go skating a couple of years ago with the grandchildren. I did fall and hurt my wrist which made me think. I had to hire skates and think that was the problem. Let us know when you are in Brum we may be able to organise a get together with a few members maybe some old mates from S.B. My husband retired last year at 65 and seems to enjoy it, he now says he couldn't work full time if he tried...ha ha.

Back