• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silver Blades Ice Rink

NoelleO 64

master brummie
I went there from 1975 to around 81 people could hear me .I had a big loud voice and made the noise of a seal .I new wilf o Riley the speed scarer he was so small in those days he called me over once to meet his mom bless him Halloween night was the worst in the first aid room as lots of novices went over on burst balloons.
I remember one of the speed skaters who had red coller length hair ,he was not very tall , think his name was Paul and a small girl who was one if not the fastest skaters I ever saw. long curl ley dark hair always wore Bayer red/blue/white boots.

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
I went there from 1975 to around 81 people could hear me .I had a big loud voice and made the noise of a seal .I new wilf o Riley the speed scarer he was so small in those days he called me over once to meet his mom bless him Halloween night was the worst in the first aid room as lots of novices went over on burst balloons.
why?

oldMohawk

master brummie
Skaters would trip on the burst balloons lying on the ice.

I was once ice racing there and put my right skate on a matchstick which caused me to fall at speed coming out of a corner and my skates went up to the overhang on the barrier and smashed some flourescent tubes. I lay in a pile of broken glass with a few minor cuts.
:)

NoelleO 64

master brummie
Skaters would trip on the burst balloons lying on the ice.

I was once ice racing there and put my right skate on a matchstick which caused me to fall at speed coming out of a corner and my skates went up to the overhang on the barrier and smashed some flourescent tubes. I lay in a pile of broken glass with a few minor cuts.
:)
Matchs often went off in the box while the owner was still had them in there back pocket when thy fell over on the ice burnt bums and rear calf's were common in the first aid room on disco nights

NoelleO 64

master brummie
Matchs often went off in the box while the owner was still had them in there back pocket when thy fell over on the ice burnt bums and rear calf's were common in the first aid room on disco nights
Do you remember a lad red coat .a black lad called
noel. he and his blond girl friend with long hair organised a trip to Stretham ice rink only the coach driver got lost comming home took from 1100 till 4 or 5 am to get home that night.
D

oldMohawk

master brummie
Do you remember a lad red coat .a black lad called
noel. he and his blond girl friend with long hair organised a trip to Stretham ice rink only the coach driver got lost comming home took from 1100 till 4 or 5 am to get home that night.
D
I don't remember the lad you mention but I certainly went to Streatham many times. I think your time at Silver Blades was a bit later than most time I skated there. Maybe you visited the Heart Beat Club upstairs.

In 1967 my thoughts turned to marriage and my skating days were over ... :)

My favourite days of skating were at the old Ice Rink which later became a Roller Rink. Some old ice rink photos in this long thread.

oldMohawk

master brummie
All of the photos posted before 2011 were lost in a hack attack. You can see some photos by scrolling onwards through the thread from post#285