• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silver Blades Ice Rink

W

Wendy

Sounds great Lyn thanks for the update:). I am glad you had a good time even though you fell over like I did the last time I went:D. Michael has banned me now!:D

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi wend...i shouldnt have tried skating as far away from the edge as i did..nowt to grab onto...:cry: may try the bowling and skating next time...never played it but it looks good fun....will take some pics next time and post...

lyn x

W

Wendy

You'll love bowling we take the grandchildren who love playing it for real rather than on the Wii. Yes take some pictures for us next time..x

The Baron

master brummie
I do hope the Ice rink topics on this site had some thing to do with all this interest in skating, Well done lyn ,when are you going next???

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks keith..as you know my passion was rollar but i figured that ice skating was based on similar principles..well i was hoping it was till i fell:D going again next week..not sure what day but possibly fri..sat or sun...

lyn

amanda_h

His full name was Les Callender and we used to hang around the bottom corner where the Zamboni or Lissalp were kept!

Andrew Hope

master brummie
Hello Wendy, greetings from Ontario
Just wondering about the name Parton you looking for, I have a friend in BOTrent names V Parton, is she known to you at all.
Andrew

W

Wendy

Hi Andrew I am struggling to find my Parton family. It is quite a common name here I am looking for a cousin who was born Jenifer Parton in 1961. I don't know her married name or whereabouts. Her mother was Hilda Jennings who died about 1953/4.

Andrew Hope

master brummie
Sorry that name is not iknown to me, my friend married a Parton so it may not be the same line that you are looking for.
On another note I will be in Brum maybe in September, may look up the rink if I have some time, still have so many happy memories of
my time there and the fun I had on Friday and Saturday nights way back in the early 60's, I reitire this month at the ripe old age of 65.
Can you turn back the clock please so I can put the boots back on just one more time.
Andrew.

W

Wendy

Andrew my memories are a little later end of the 60's early 70's as you can see from the photo I posted at the beginning of this thread. I did go skating a couple of years ago with the grandchildren. I did fall and hurt my wrist which made me think. I had to hire skates and think that was the problem. Let us know when you are in Brum we may be able to organise a get together with a few members maybe some old mates from S.B. My husband retired last year at 65 and seems to enjoy it, he now says he couldn't work full time if he tried...ha ha.

Andrew Hope

master brummie
Thank you for sharing the music, I played it and just imagine all the young people skating around chatting and talking having a wonderful time, would love to hear more of these recordings, all we need now is trip up the stairs to the heart beat and a pinta at the milk bar.
Great.
Andrew Hope.

C389621

Hi,
My user name is actually the model and serial number of the Hammond which resides in my living room it's a C3 serial number 89621!

The organist of course was Peter G Roberts - sadly passed on.

I'll sort some more of his music out including recordings of the white piano that used to sit on the upper level of the stage.

Andrew Hope

master brummie
Hello Wendy, hope you are OK, I have the task of running out stamp club web page and have lots of space, I have put some of the pictures I downloaded from the Brum site on that site, here is the address, drop in anytime, your picture is there too,
www.hamiltonstampclub.com/rink.html
Bye for now.
Andrew.

W

Wendy

Thanks for the link Andrew. I have already uploaded the photo back onto the thread as it is saved on my computer. I hope others will do the same on their posts.

keegs

master brummie
I remember Pete from when I worked at 'Rusties' and also Eddie Ruhier another great organist,and a nice guy.Happy days !
Hi,
My user name is actually the model and serial number of the Hammond which resides in my living room it's a C3 serial number 89621!

The organist of course was Peter G Roberts - sadly passed on.

I'll sort some more of his music out including recordings of the white piano that used to sit on the upper level of the stage.

keegs

master brummie
If anyone is interested in old photo's taken at the Silver Blades,check out the Facebook site

the smiths

master brummie
Hi Keegs

Would love to see old photo's of the Silver Blades went there my-self in the sixties.
but I don't go on face book so would you down load them to this site please. I only have a couple of photo's of me and a friend but they were taken in one of the booths so they are very small.

Kind Regards.............

keegs

master brummie
There are a LOT of photo's on the site and I am not very adept with loading/downloading,so not sure I can help much.The photos are mostly from ice dance competitions but the backgrounds do show a lot of how 'Rusties' was and gives a good feel of the special atmosphere it had.
I worked there,part time 1969-73,and skated lot.so lots of memories.
Cheers,Keegs