• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Siddall.

A Gladys Pardoe is on the 1939 register as a "dancer". The Pardoe is crossed out and Firth written so she must have got married.
I didn't find a Renie - children listed on Percy's war pension record were: Gladys, Lilian, Dorothy, Harry, Maria and Leslie. I think there might have been a Minnie born later but am unsure.

Thanks pjmburns.

Yes, I have a Minnie Florence born in 1917. She married William Shingles in 1940 and they went on to have two boys, Robert and Laurence.

The problem with 'Renie' is that I think its a stage name. My guess is that it is Lilian. (I've looked at the Pardoe lines for other Renie's or similar with no success and from the photos I'm pretty sure they are not the same person.)

I did find Lilian on 1939 register but she was married and no longer working so I could not tell if she was an entertainer or not.

I am keen to find an original report relating to Arthur Siddall and the incident below.

Can anyone help?

Athur Siddall was one of the sons of Sarah Ward and Walter Siddall and he married Dorothy May Shakespeare on 27 Jun 1920 St Marks Ladywood. He was born 26 Nov 1900 in Ladywood and was buried Yardley Cemetary Birmingham

Arthur rescued two children at 1, back of 4, Lionel Street on the 15th of September 1931. He was awarded a certificate by The Society for the Protection of Life from Fire on the 14th of January 1932.

Arthur died three years later in 1935 at the age of 35 from a burst appendix. When he died he left his wife Dorothy with ten children to raise on her own.
Arthur was my great great grandad

Hello there Annliz,
I think we must be second cousins or thereabouts. My mother Grace was the first daughter of Emma Siddall, fourth child of Walter Siddall (1856-1901)and Sarah Ward. I think Arthur (1900-1935)was their tenth child and he married Dorothy May Shakespeare on June 27 1920. I have ten children on record. I've done my best to track down the more recent Siddalls but I have gaps here and there. I have a line that probably goes back to George Siddall of Sheffield in the early 1700's.

I've had no luck in finding photos of the Siddalls and am still looking for the report of Arthurs bravery and the records of the P L F Society. I'm happy to share any info I have or any progress made.

Kindest regards
My great granddad was Arthur siddal.. My nan is Doris siddal ☺ one of the children

Arthur and Dorothy were my Grandparents, I remember my mother telling me about this. Nan had her picture in the newspaper, I think she was expecting her final child at this time just after Grandad died, my mom was in the photo too. Where the article my nan had isn't known but I will ask my Dad, ( my mom sadly passed away 3 years ago). Unfortunately aunts and uncles are very thin on the ground these days, so getting the framed picture nan had may be a problem.
I found that picture.. The news paper article

Welcome to the forum Karen.
Your G/g/grandfather was a very brave man and how sad that your G/g/grandmother was left to bring up ten children without a father.

Back