• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sid Field

edgbaston

master brummie
I was born in Bell Barn rd and was fascinated to read that Sid Field the comedian was born at 103A Bell Barn rd.He was born on the 1st of April 1904 and died on the 3rd of February 1950,he was only 45 and died of a heart attack.Bob Hope said he was 'probably the best comedian of them all'.His father worked in Conybere st as a whip and cane maker,his mother was a dress-maker in Moseley.He spent most of childhood in Osborn rd Sparkbrook.He idolised Charlie Chaplin and stayed with him as a house guest,what an achievement for someone born in the back to back houses.Mary

I was born in Bell Barn rd and was fascinated to read that Sid Field the comedian was born at 103A Bell Barn rd.He was born on the 1st of April 1904 and died on the 3rd of February 1950,he was only 45 and died of a heart attack.Bob Hope said he was 'probably the best comedian of them all'.His father worked in Conybere st as a whip and cane maker,his mother was a dress-maker in Moseley.He spent most of childhood in Osborn rd Sparkbrook.He idolised Charlie Chaplin and stayed with him as a house guest,what an achievement for someone born in the back to back houses.Mary

Am i right in thinking that Sid Field had a child ? has I was told that he or she was taken out for walks with my brother who was born in 1935, Our house until it was bombed was around the corner in Roderick Road off Osborne Road, this road ran from Warwick Road and Bakers Street. He was In a film with Pet Clarke which was put on at the Maypole c1944.

Hallo Louis Dalby I would love to know more about Sid Fields life, the little I know I found on Digital Ladywood and Google.I hope someone with more information can help as I would be very grateful.Sorry I cannot help at the moment.Mary

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]SID FIELD Sid suddenly became a star in 1943 with the west end revue, Strike A New Note. Initially the production, performed at the Prince of Wales theatre, wasn't designed as a starring vehicle for anybody but after just three weeks word of mouth had got round and Sid's name was up in lights. The show ran for an amazing eighteen months and was quickly followed by two more Sid Field revues, Strike It Again and Piccadilly Hayride. He was born in 1904 in Edgbaston but died at an early age in 1950 whilst in London. Perhaps his most celebrated sketch is the Golfer, with his dim-witted novice trying the frustrated patience of teacher Jerry Desmonde. However, his finest comic moment came as Slasher Green , the spiv-styled black market salesman who ambled onto stage in a huge black overcoat and charmed the audience with his crafty cockney attitude. With thanks to Film Fun Comic. Len.
[/FONT]

I think as previously stated Sid Field was born in Lee Bank in 1904 but his family moved to 152 Osbourne Rd, Sparkbrook in his early childhood. He first showed signs of his comic genius busking for the cinema crowds outside the Waldorf Cinema in Walford Rd which opened in 1913.

Sadly he died at the peak of his fame at the young age of 45 in 1950, He was said by many to be the best comedian of his times,

Phil

SidField.jpg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PS7yJFDCiE"]YouTube - Sid Field - Sketch (1946)[/ame] . Go to YouTube.Com and put Sid Field into search Len.

Tributes to Sid Field. It is perhaps because of this lack of recorded material, that Field is now largely forgotten. His films and the few scraps of recorded Variety material that survive belie his comic genius. He inspired a generation of comedians and pioneered the use of character acting in comedy. He was cited as a comic favourite by Cary Grant, General Eisenhower, Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Laurence Olivier, Tony Hancock, Eric Morecambe, Eric Sykes, Frankie Howerd and Tommy Cooper, among many others, and he was described by Bob Hope as being "probably the best comedian of them all". Len.

I had this info on this forum previously.My friend currently lives at Sid's Osborn Rd house.
Sidney A Field marriage to Constance L Dawkins
Birmingham 1st qtr 1933 ref. 6d 380

Had a scan through for Field/ Dawkins children and found

Elaine R Field mmn Dawkins
2nd qtr 1937 Solihull ref. 6d 1348

John N.S.Field mmn Dawkins
3rd qtr 1948 Wandsworth ref. 5d 1207.

If you obtain these birth certificates use the criteria that parents must be
Sidney/Constance and then if they are not you will be informed and not charged.

Wonder if Elaine married.

Elaine Rosemary Field born 25 th March 1937 died in May 2000
Kingston on Thames,Surrey.

Constance Laura W Field born 17th december 1909 died in 1992
Richmond on thames surrey.

Constance Laura W Dawkins birth registered 1st qtr 1910 Epping
ref. 4a 492

It appears that his son John N.S.Field is still alive

Sid Field did have a son and I worked at the same theatre at the same time but not in the same play - The Haymarket Theatre in Leicester had two stages and now, I believe, it has been closed which is a shame and shame on the council there for letting such a fine theatre die.
We were due to play golf one day but when I got to the course it had been taken over by some kind of institute of Vicars so we didn't get to play.
When Laurence Olivier played Archie Rice in The Entertainer he said he based the character of Rice on Sid Field; the character was a bad comedian but he said that Sid was a great one.

Back