• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

shufflebothams

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
one of the most high class grocers in birmingham was shufflebothams stores on the corner of woodbridge road and alcester road moseley...

astoness

Lyn, the only Shufflebothams that I can remember was a motorcycle shop, I think that it was on the corner of Ladypool Road and Taunton Road. I wonder if they were related to the people in your lovely old photo?

graham..they could very well have been...

glad you liked the pic..

lyn

The store on the corner of Woodbridge Rd was Shufflebothams. The Motorcycle store on the corner of Taunton Rd & Ladypool Rd was Shovelbottoms. I don't think therefore there was any family connection.

Phil

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 28
Snap - But the spelling is close enough in my opinion for there to be a link albeit many generations before.

Bernie, good point as many a name spelling got changed due to different dialects when they were being written down at a registry office.

Nice photo Phil.

Graham.

My Mother had a friend in Marsh Hill named Mrs. Shufflebotham. Her husband could have been related to the grocers.

I seem to remember Shufflebottoms being taken over by Arnolds Stores, who also had a shop on Hagley Rd

I remember shufflbottoms as a car sale business on the corner of ladypool and taunton rd, opposite the brighton pub, and the park, with the the bat slide, (who remembers that then?), they sold some strange cars, i remeber them having an amphibious car for sale, at one time, where are you gonna use that, in birmingham, along the cut?. Tom

I am sure the motorcycle dealer you are referring to was Shovelbottoms, not shuffle !!!. I bought a Royal Enfield from them in 1963.

I did the Moseley Society's history walk on Saturday and they do have photos of Shufflebotham's inside and out (as a working grocer?) although they don't seem to have them on their website. I'm not sure I'd call Shufflebotham's a grocer from what I remember of the internal picture. They seem to deal a lot of stuff in packets.

Shovelbottoms was on the corner of Ladypool and Taunton Roads. As I said it was a motor cycle dealer.

I knew a Bob Shufflebotham don't know if he was a Brummie he doesn't have an accent, he was a writer and an amateur actor singer called himself Shuff. I will ask if he comes from Brum. Yes very ooh la posh Nan would say,. Love to be in a shop like that now.

Back