• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Showcase Cinema

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
I see that the Showcase Cinema on the Kingsbury Rd has closed down, apparently Jaguar have bought them out, so they can expand I assume. Now the nearest cinema to me is at Star City,and I was never keen on that place. Ah well, there's always the telly.

Terry

Thats very sad about Shocase Cinema closing, I had many a good night there and watched some memorable films there.. Some really bad one' too :) But i was never keen on Star City Either.. Sad days...

I don't like Star City either, find the general atmosphere oppressive there.
Fond memories of the Showcase though, my friend dropped her box of maltesers during a film...........................
Was ages before we went again lol.
You could always come to Tamworth Terry!
Sue

cant believe that. built that cinema about 20 years ago. was an mgm cinema and a load of yanks came over for the construction of it. must be getting old when your old enough to see your own work being pulled down!

I am led to believe it's replacement is being constructed on Chester Road, by the new Selco opposite McDonalds.

I am led to believe it's replacement is being constructed on Chester Road, by the new Selco opposite McDonalds.

Now thats something I had'nt heard about, a new cinema, also a new Selco. I hope so

Terry

Isn't Selco already there - I'm sure there were directions to it a few months ago!
Sue

Just had a look on google earth Sue, and yes there is one there. I never knew that and I have drove past there thousands of times. Thats the trouble with driving, you miss everything.

Terry

Didn't know about Showcase cinema moving to Chester road.

On the site mentionde there will be; Selco, the new ambulance station workshops and a Volvo car showroom. Busy site

There is going to be a new complex being built near the NEC.... Showcase is not having a replacement. Nationally There are a number of Multiplexes that are Closing or have closed... Foreign Companies have killed a large number of well built and kept Cinemas in this country.. We could now end up with great deal fewer Cinemas

. We could now end up with great deal fewer Cinemas[/QUOTE]

Hi All,

We already have few cinemas. Most districts had at least one when I was a lad. In fact, I lived in Small Heath and was in easy walking distance of 5 cinemas. Green Lane Cinema, The Elite, Kingston, Coronet and The Grange I believe it is TV that has done for them but where do courting couples go for a snog in the back row these days?

Old Boy

I'm surprised to see the showcase go - sorry for anyone working there.
I always felt it was pricey and I'm guessing it knocked a few of the smaller cinemas for six when it opened. So I can understand https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=9257Mike Blakemores comment :) ... All done then - in the name of progress I guess. I didnt like the American feel to the place myself - ie big and brash is better. I apologise for my stunted view folks. Our local cinema in Sutton currently has a half price day which is trying to bring people in mid week - which is good.

Back