• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shoulder of Mutton, near top of Bradford Street

moeminimus

proper brummie kid
Just had a trawl through the old pubs thread looking for connections. You all do a great job tracking and passing on info.
So thanks to you I found the White Horse Hotel on Congreve Street. It was a Mitchells and Butlers Establishment.
I started my first job there (trainee cook) in August 1956 and learned a lot. The Manager was Mr. Haslewood. The chef who sacked me after an accident with 28lbs of freshly cooked peas (don't ask), I can't recall his name, was a Swiss-German who came to UK in 1938 to escape Nazism. But I do remember a couple of the other cooks; Joe Chester who lived off Sheldon Heath Road and Harry 'the Hawk' Hawkswell?
However, my search did not find a pub that was run by one of my uncles in the late 50s/60s. It was The Shoulder of Mutton, somewhere near the top end of Bradford Street. Does anyone have any memories.

Try to do no harm

I can find no "Shoulder of Mutton" in Birmingham in Kellys directories post WW2. Earlier it might hav ebeen a beerhouse, which were usually not named in Kellys, but I think post WW2 all/most pubs were named there

I did find reference to a pub called the Shepherd's Rest in Bradford Street but that was much earlier.
Like Mike I drew a blank in phone books and directories.

what was your uncles name...someone maybe able to look up to see what pub he ran...the shoulder of mutton could also be a local nic name for the pub

Hello BHFers,

Thanks for your interest and suggestions. In the meantime I spoke to relative who says I got the pub right but the place wrong. The Shoulder was somewhere in Blackheath ( which may fall outside the remit of BHF). The pub around Bradford Street was the Adam and Eve.

I'm now going to have look for that.

Cheers for now and stay well.

Back