• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Short Stirling Bomber

Hi Steve,
I tried to re post the photos this afternoon. Perhaps they are the wrong size or something, but I could not post them. If you send me your email, I will gladly send them to you. Ann

Hi,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. My email address is squadron218ATyahoo.co.uk (replace AT with the usual @)

Kind regards

Steve

Could someone enlighten me as to when the Stirling was taken out of service, I was in the RAF June'48 to June'56 aircrew wireless operator on Lancasters, Hastings DC3s etc but never came across a Stirling ? Eric

cookie273uk Wikipaedia would suggest that No.196 Squadron, R.A.F. flew the last Stirling bomber until March 1946. Hope this gives you some idea. It is worth going onto the site because it gives all the R.A.F Squadron flying Stirlings and their final dates of flying there. Good luck! willey.

Thanks Willey, I served on the last Lancaster Squadron, 82(PR) Squadron from '49 to '51, I believe it changed to Canberras in 1953. Will give Wikipaedia a visit. Thanks again. Eric

Ann's wonderful Stirling pictures have now been restored within the first post of this thread and I attach a copy to this post as well for convenience of viewing.

Chris

Attachments

• AnnStirlingPic1w1000.jpg
    AnnStirlingPic1w1000.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 7
  • AnnStirlingPic2w1000.jpg
    AnnStirlingPic2w1000.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 4
  • AnnStirlingPic3w1000.jpg
    AnnStirlingPic3w1000.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 5
Back