• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Short film about the BSA factory

good film, i saw that when i was a patrol. i rode one of them rso combos, but my favorite was the trumph. Things sure was different back then it was all smile salute and serve.

Attachments

• aa bsa.jpg
    aa bsa.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 9
  • aa-triumph.jpg
    aa-triumph.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 9
I always understood that. Not sure if it was true in our lifetime, though thinkit was pre WW2

Yes, agree with that, Mike. Recall my father explaining it to me. But more that "something was amiss" rather than specifically a speed-trap. It was all something which used to happen in the past and as the explanation to me was in around 1945/6 that must have put it pre-war.

It was always quite a thrill to see the arm snap up when Dad's badge was spotted but by then it was nothing more than a courtesy (which couldn't have lasted much longer anyway).

Different world.

Chris

I always understood that. Not sure if it was true in our lifetime, though thinkit was pre WW2

hi. AA salute. The salute was a tradition for 60 years, with patrolmen instructed to make the gesture if they saw a motorist sporting the AA's insignia.
It originated at the start of the last century as drivers started to run foul of police speed traps in which officers used a stopwatch to calculate whether or not a car was going too fast. Even then it was illegal to warn motorists about speed traps, but the AA advised its members to stop if a patrolman failed to salute, and the driver would then be given information about "road conditions" ahead. The "crisp, sharp salute" will be used today by patrols when they attend a breakdown, rather than as a matter of course for all passing AA members.
With speed cameras clearly marked, patrols will not tip motorists off about their existence. "The days of warning drivers about speed cameras have passed
. the salute was later used as courteousy to members,and higher ranking staff, some of the patrols looked like benny hill. lol
they just stuck his cover on his head, no shape in it at all. me and others took time to make a new beret fit right. all that as gone

Last edited:
Back