• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shops Owned By Retired Footballers

Not shops I know but isn't Dave Latchford, ex blues goalie, something to do with Solihull crematorium at Robin Hood, also my son has just started at Ninestiles school where Steve Lilwall, ex baggies player, is now a school teacher. https://www.football-league.co.uk/features/20091229/where-are-they-now-steve-lilwall_2249035_1913862 gives an interesting instight into Steve's thought when he was playing and knew his playing days were coming to an end.

One for Len, wasn't there a bookies at the Yew Tree, think one on Stoney Lane and one on Hobmoor Road that was run by an ex footy player?

johnny watts of blues in late 50s had the newsagents in adderley rd detween st saviours rd and ash rd saltley

"What about Stan Lynn's sweet shop in Perry Barr?" and Charlie Aitkin's furniture shop in Acocks Green.

teddy sandford the old albion winger had a cafe close to the baggies ground

Stan Lyn's shop in Perry Barr my late Sister held her wedding reception above Stan's Shop in the 1960s.:)

I remember Frank Moss, ex Villa, he had a newsagents and general seaside holiday shop in East Looe. He would always be in the shop in the morning and early evening but the afternoons were reserved for golf when his wife would be in the shop. Sometimes used to see him at night with his dad in one of Looe's watering holes.

Frank Moss owned a shop in Kingstanding before moving to Looe:)

This Web site could save you a lot of time if you have the time all Football teams
https://www.where-are-they-now.co.uk/aston-villa/b.php

Last edited:
George Cummings, ex Villa and Scottish International fullback, used to have a sweetshop in the high street Aston, almost directly opposite the Orient picture house. That was in the 50's. He wasn't there during the day most of the time as he was doing some coaching at the time.

When I was travelling to school on the number 5/5a/7 bus in the early 60s, I noticed a shop on a corner on Witton Road and above the door it said 'Ex Aston Villa Player' or something like that. Whether it is one of the shops already mentioned, I don't know. I wasn't and am still not that interested in football so names of past players elude me.
Humph

When I was travelling to school on the number 5/5a/7 bus in the early 60s, I noticed a shop on a corner on Witton Road and above the door it said 'Ex Aston Villa Player' or something like that. Whether it is one of the shops already mentioned, I don't know. I wasn't and am still not that interested in football so names of past players elude me.
Humph
That was Leslie Smith Humph see post #3:)

Not exactly a place owned by an ex footballer, but one owned by his daughter, Harbour Bites takeaway in Brixham, Devon

I was taught Sport at Erdington Grammar by Miss Bradford,her father Joe Bradford was a retired footballer and he had a shop somewhere in Brum.
When I worked in a music shop in Snow Hill (1950's) Joe Bradford often came into the shop to chat to his good friend Bill Pickering. I admired Joe greatly because he not only played centre forward for England, but he scored a goal in Birmingham's cup final match with WBA in 29/30 season. Also I remember Frank Soo who ran a Chinese restaurant in Snow Hill. Frank was also an England pre-war footballer (winger, I think), and he played at Stoke City around the same time as Stanley Mathews.

Ex Villa player Ken Barrett ran a book makers shop on Charford adjoing the Sugarbrook pub in Bromsgrove both gone now and another KFC in their place. He moved to run the shop in Aston Fields Bromsgove. Retired now but still around.
Still see him now and then in Bromsgrove

George Edwards had a newsagents in Baldwins Lane & then on Cranmore boulevard, Trevor Smith ran the Fox pub in Tamworth.

I remember Jimmy Leach, ex Villa player running the Grosvenor pub in Grosvenor Rd Aston in the 1950's, buy him a drink and he would show you his FA Cup medal won in the 20's Eric

I have never met David Beckham, but I don't think he owns any shops, just millions of pounds, a huge hunk of real estate, and a football stadium in Florida. How times change!

Stan Jones (ex West Brom.) had a Cafe in West Brom/Handsworth. "The Savoury Duck" was just the old Birmingham town hall side of Broad street.

I also remember when Ron Flowers had been the manager Of Telford Utd, when he left the post he had a sports shop right next to Telfords ground, if my memory serves me right, about 1974.

Had to go to a chiropodist on the Warwick Rd in Olton in about 1963 to be treated for verruca's , no doubt picked up in the school showers. It was run by an ex Blues player, but cant remember his name now. Can anybody help.
Also a few years back I called in at a pub in Wellingborough, which was run by ex Blues striker Steve Phillips, He was there in 1973 or 74 under Freddie Goodwin, he told me he didn't like it under Freddie as he couldn't get into the first team on a regular basis as he was up against Trevor Francis. Enough said really. He only has 1 first team goal to his name for Blues.
Transferred to Brentford where he became their leading scorer with over 30 goals in one season i believe.
For him it was just a case of wrong place at the wrong time.

Someone way back mentioned Johnny Watts having a newsagents shop in Adderley Road. I went to school with his daughter, Julie Watts.

Not exactly a shop, but former Villa goalie Jake Findlay had a driving-school in the Sutton Coldfield area.

G

Harry Parkes the former Villa player and director had a sports shop on Corporation St near the Law Courts. My mate was a Spurs fan and went there to buy a Spurs kit. He didn't have enough money for the shorts, so Harry gave them to him for free.

Had to go to a chiropodist on the Warwick Rd in Olton in about 1963 to be treated for verruca's , no doubt picked up in the school showers. It was run by an ex Blues player, but cant remember his name now. Can anybody help.
Also a few years back I called in at a pub in Wellingborough, which was run by ex Blues striker Steve Phillips, He was there in 1973 or 74 under Freddie Goodwin, he told me he didn't like it under Freddie as he couldn't get into the first team on a regular basis as he was up against Trevor Francis. Enough said really. He only has 1 first team goal to his name for Blues.
Transferred to Brentford where he became their leading scorer with over 30 goals in one season i believe.
For him it was just a case of wrong place at the wrong time.
Fred Harris is the answer to first question, he features here on BHF quite a bit, and Freddy Goodwin probably had one of the strongest youth teams of the day who mostly played together for the first team keeping out someone potentially useful for any first team.

Back