• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shops on Aston Church Road

Dashers

master brummie
Does anyone know of information regarding shops on Aston Church Road around the 1900 - 1930s.

My dad remembers that his grandfather ran a shop on Aston Church Road but there is some confusion as to the location. I did find a number on the 1911 Census but not sure where it is in relation to what is there today. (and I haven't got the 1911 Census record)

The surname was Rolfe and we think that it was on the corner of Arley Road (but this is in dispute). We also believe that he owned a Coal merchants in the area and that my Grandfather ran it for him, but I haven't been able to link the surname to registered merchants in Birmingham.

It would be nice to find out where it was, even better if there is an old photo of the street

Thanks in advance
Paul

In the 1927 directory there is for Aston Church Rd a
183 Rolfe Henry shopkeeper

Does anyone know of information regarding shops on Aston Church Road around the 1900 - 1930s.

My dad remembers that his grandfather ran a shop on Aston Church Road but there is some confusion as to the location. I did find a number on the 1911 Census but not sure where it is in relation to what is there today. (and I haven't got the 1911 Census record)

The surname was Rolfe and we think that it was on the corner of Arley Road (but this is in dispute). We also believe that he owned a Coal merchants in the area and that my Grandfather ran it for him, but I haven't been able to link the surname to registered merchants in Birmingham.

It would be nice to find out where it was, even better if there is an old photo of the street

Thanks in advance
Paul

Hi
and in 1911 Henry and his wife Kate and their children are at 183 Aston Church Rd. He is described as a Gas Labourer but Kate is a General Dealer working from home.

Suzanne

I used to live in Washwood Heath Road,by St. Marks, in the 1960s and I got my groceries from a little shop on the corner of Aston Church Road/Chartist Road.
It was really old fashioned and was really only the front room of a private house.

Last edited:
In the 1913 edition of Kelly's directory which would be the listing from 1912, 183 Aston Church Rd is listed as Henry Ralph Shopkeeper (probably a spelling mistake). I can find no Coal Dealer or Coal Merchant by the name of Rolfe or Ralph for that year in Birmingham.

Phil

I am fairly sure that there was a coal merchant on Aston Church road just down from Washwood Heath on the left. There was a store there too...not sure what kind, but dont think the number was as stated above. 183 may have been Albertas Grocer. This would have been 40s-60s.

By the time I had put this together, much has already been posted, but :
Kellys does list an Alfred Rolfe, grocer, 75 Arley road in 1900-12 .This seems to be on the corner with Bennetts Road, however, not Aston church Road. In 1913 he is later described as a beer retailer. In 1915 Alfred has gone, but there is Henry Rolfe, shopkeeper, at 183 Aston Church Road (it is the next building listed to Arley Road in Kellys, but I am not sure if it is on the corner, as it does not list all buildings). He is still there in 1921, and Alfred is back (assuming it is the same person) as a shopkeeper at 2 Lime Tree Road, Saltley .
I have no directories 1922-31 but:
1932-37 Henry Rolfe , coal dealer, Aston church Road (It is not numbered, and I would guess it was off the main road on a trading estate , as several other firms are all listed together, but was between the ralway and Arley Road, on the south side of the road.)

1932-33 Thomas Henry Rolfe junior , coal dealer , 118 Crabtree Road.
1936-37 Thomas Henry Rolfe junior , coal dealer , 1 & 118 Crabtree Road.
1938-40 Thomas Henry Rolfe junior , coal dealer , 118 Crabtree Road
By 1943 Thomas has disappeared .
Mike

Thanks for all the info

Henry Rolfe was my Gt Grandfather, not sure who Alfred and Thomas Henry Junior (seems to indicate that his father was Thomas Henry) are but there are some great leads to find out and do some digging

much appreciated

There used to be a coal merchants by the name of Dixons at the top end of Aston Church Road, Washwood Heath, in the 1950's

Hi les
Would you recall a family called Drinkwater of Aston church road I think they lived close to the little cafe just pasdt postans paint
On Aston church road whilst seeing your name on the thread you have listed a family of caffery do you have any christian names to them
Or where was your cafferys coming from I knew of cafferys on Coventry rd hay mills many years ago we lived next door to them
Well at least there name was caffery best wishes Astonian,,,,,

i remember using the cafe.in the 70s. and the shop on the corner of arly rd

Last edited:
Back