• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shops Muntz st/The Cov

Does anyone remember the name of the Old Church & Sunday school that sat between the Coventry road & Wright Street, just up from the junction of Muntz st & Coventry road past the pub..
This one? A Congregationalists and Independents church?

congchsh.jpgccsh1910.jpg

Last edited:
Hi josietrue, welcome to the site. My dad knows that area, he went to Holy Family church and school.
Sue
What years did your dad go to Holy Family School. In 1970s there were three Holy Family Schools in Small Heath. There was holy Family Main which was on the Coventry Road (still there). I went to Holy Family Annex in 1970 which was on Byron Road and then we moved to Jenkins Street which was off the Coventry Road. The Main School could not cope with the demand from Irish Immigrant families.

If that is the church shown on the map then yes that is the one!! it looks so much bigger than I thought it was. I don't remember it from the Coventry road it was closed & boarded up in the 60's when I used to visit my Gran, the Sunday School behind it was next door to my Nan's house in Wright Street which is shown on the Muntz Street side of the church on that map & we accessed the back of the house up an alley between the Church/Sunday School & house so I only remember seeing the church from the side above a 6ft wooden fence & through trees. It looks very much more impressive than I remember. I have seen an article somewhere which described a church in Small Heath being built at a cost of £2,000+ in the 1800's but I dismissed it as being to costly to be the one I remembered, I will have to try & find it again lol!!. I still have a carved chest which came from the church & was used for storing robes, bibles, candles & other church sundries. It was rescued by my Great Grandfather when it was considered surplus to requirements in the days he was caretaker. Thank you very much for posting this it gives a lot of substance to my memories & the stories told me by my Mother & Grandmother.

This one? A Congregationalists and Independents church?

View attachment 141766View attachment 141769
[/QUOTE]

My very first job upon leaving school (1981 I believe) was in one of the Coventry Road shops. Tesco, on the left as you come out of town and virtually next door if not actually to the Brighton Arms. I seem to remember there was a Boots opposite and a Woolworths on the same side 2 or 3 shops down. There was also a Kwik Save opened virtually next door which went a long way towards sealing Tescos fate. I was only there for 6 months to a year earning my £35 a week I think it was, until life took me in a different direction. Alas, sometime around or about the late 80's I ended up working for a company selling Carpet Tiles based in what had previously been Boots the Chemist. Tesco was long gone, as was Woolworth, Hitchens was further down towards the Blues Ground selling clearance goods, and Maturis was still there. I actually fitted a new floor in the shop there, though I cant for the life of me remember who was running the place. The Brighton Arms remained, and was being run by a couple called Kevin and Mary, and I remember doing a Conga from the pub along the Coventry Road in the early hours of 1991 after Blues had lifted the Leyland Daf Trophy. I then slept at my desk that evening, before walking into Birmingham with a crate of Newcastle Brown from the Brighton ready for the civic reception outside the Town Hall !
Hi Pewster. I worked at Tesco Coventry road 1979 to 1982, I was just a teenager then. I often wonder what happened to the shop and all the staff who worked there at the same time as me. Mr Homer was the manager, I remember a couple who were engaged called Carolyn and Derek, and Derek's twin brother I think. Another one called I karen haughey/ hockey? Lesley and Janet I think we're the supervisors. I remember Kwik save just a couple of doors from Tesco, how fast the staff were! I was always in Woolworths next door to Tesco, or maybe two doors away. I remember a shop opposite Tesco, with a large clock above it I seem to remember, I worked as a cashier and was always turning around to look at this clock hoping it was time to go home! I can't remember the name of the shop, I think it was a hardware shop? I knew a lad who worked there, I seem to remember his name was Stephen? I think his dad was from Poland. I remember the nat west Bank and boots chemist opposite also. There was also a little clothes boutique on the same side as Tesco. I no longer live in Brum, but I am and always will be a born and bred Brummie!

When I was a school lad our moms baker asked if I wanted a part time job helping him mainly Saturdays.The bakery was in Muntz Street but I cant for the life of me remember the name, was it hardings? Along Muntz St. From the Cov and it was on the right as the road does a left hand bend.
Hi Stitcher, my brother worked at the bakery in Muntz Street, it was called ‘Houses’.
I have a Houses delivery vehicle somewhere, not sure if it was horse drawn or Electric, I will try and find it. Ray.

When I was a school lad our moms baker asked if I wanted a part time job helping him mainly Saturdays.The bakery was in Muntz Street but I cant for the life of me remember the name, was it hardings? Along Muntz St. From the Cov and it was on the right as the road does a left hand bend.
Stitcher, a Houses bakery delivery van and advertisement.

Attachments

• EE078457-7AB7-4524-AA33-1FCF65A65DE4.jpeg
    EE078457-7AB7-4524-AA33-1FCF65A65DE4.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 54E2BBC7-DDDA-420B-8D1B-48804F307297.jpeg
    54E2BBC7-DDDA-420B-8D1B-48804F307297.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 34
Hi Stitcher,
The attached picture shows the old Houses Bakery buildings on the bend of Muntz Street approaching Grange Road.

Attachments

• AA26F50E-F23C-4F1B-8935-8D5447BDB7B8.jpeg
    AA26F50E-F23C-4F1B-8935-8D5447BDB7B8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
I remember 'Houses'.... lovely smells!

Also the old Vine pub... could see it from our front door in Victoria Street, across the bombed site in Green Lane (door was on the side).

There was also a 'herbalist' in Muntz Street, just before Houses and, on the other side, a cobblers and a fish and chip shop that did faggotts and peas.
Happy days in Small Heath.
Annie

Hi Pewster. I worked at Tesco Coventry road 1979 to 1982, I was just a teenager then. I often wonder what happened to the shop and all the staff who worked there at the same time as me. Mr Homer was the manager, I remember a couple who were engaged called Carolyn and Derek, and Derek's twin brother I think. Another one called I karen haughey/ hockey? Lesley and Janet I think we're the supervisors. I remember Kwik save just a couple of doors from Tesco, how fast the staff were! I was always in Woolworths next door to Tesco, or maybe two doors away. I remember a shop opposite Tesco, with a large clock above it I seem to remember, I worked as a cashier and was always turning around to look at this clock hoping it was time to go home! I can't remember the name of the shop, I think it was a hardware shop? I knew a lad who worked there, I seem to remember his name was Stephen? I think his dad was from Poland. I remember the nat west Bank and boots chemist opposite also. There was also a little clothes boutique on the same side as Tesco. I no longer live in Brum, but I am and always will be a born and

Muntz Street photos

Attachments

• Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Wellington public house - Dawson Street (1).jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Wellington public house - Dawson Street (1).jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Small Arms Public House  - Baker Street on LHS.jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Small Arms Public House - Baker Street on LHS.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Small Arms Pub on Hawkes Street corner (2) Viewed From ...jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Small Arms Pub on Hawkes Street corner (2) Viewed From ...jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Malt Shovel (6).jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Malt Shovel (6).jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Grange Road-White Lion Pub.jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Grange Road-White Lion Pub.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Baker Street.jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Baker Street.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Wellington public house and Dawson Street on RHS.jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Wellington public house and Dawson Street on RHS.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 67
In the 60s & 70s they started to knock down a lot of pubs. In the 80s only the White Lion, the Nest and the Malt Shovel survived the Muntz Street demolition. There used to be loads of pubs and loads of Irish in Small Heath. My favourites pubs were the Gunmakers, the Brighton and the Nest.

Both Henry David Nutting, and Percy Christopher Nutting served in WWI.

Neither of them entered France, so were possibly Territorial Army, these are the details;

Henry David Nutting. 835729 Royal Field Artillery.

Percy Clarence Nutting. 85667 19th Coy. 8th Res Btn Machine Gun Corps.

Barrie.
Percy Clarence dis serve in France and was injured returned home patched up and sent back out again. He said if there's another I'm not going they can bloody well shoot me I don't care cause I've been shot before

There was a 'cardrome?' on the Cov Road also. My late uncle was a security man there for a while, but I cannot remember the name, further up on the same side was Kwik Save, Tesco, and of course Woolies. Nat West Bank opposite.
I worked at Payne’s Shoe Repairs a few doors along from the Cardrome, back in the mid 60’s when I left school. We were next door to a shop which I think was called Lisa Marie or something similar.

I worked at Payne’s Shoe Repairs a few doors along from the Cardrome, back in the mid 60’s when I left school. We were next door to a shop which I think was called Lisa Marie or something similar.
I think it was Lisa Gaye ladies' outfitter, 448 Coventry Road.

Back