• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shops in parlours

I remember shops at the bottom of Bond Street and Regent Street Stirchley in the 50's and 60's and they were so useful on a Sunday when all other shops were closed. They are now turned back to houses

As a new member just wondering if there are photos with the posts?
Fascinating linking in to people's stories just researching my family who lived Nechells/Aston area.
Henry Marlow was a hairdesser lived with his family 1891 census 7 Holborn Hill.
Just wondering if there is any info around this great site. Thank You

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you find the forum posts interesting. Unfortunately a few years ago th efirum was hacked and in th eprocess all the photos were lost. Many have been replaced, but not all, including some on this thread. But if you search for individual streets in the search box, then you may find what you want. Below is a map c1889 showing no 7 Holborn Hill in red. There seems to be no hairdresser listed in Holborn Road at the time, though there is no reason for him to work very close. There is one , Harry Moore at 23 Nechells Park Road (the road that runs down just to the right of no 7), though no23 is right at the other end , some distance away.

map c1889 showing no 7 Holborn hill.jpg

Hi
Welcome to the forum. I am glad you find the forum posts interesting. Unfortunately a few years ago th efirum was hacked and in th eprocess all the photos were lost. Many have been replaced, but not all, including some on this thread. But if you search for individual streets in the search box, then you may find what you want. Below is a map c1889 showing no 7 Holborn Hill in red. There seems to be no hairdresser listed in Holborn Road at the time, though there is no reason for him to work very close. There is one , Harry Moore at 23 Nechells Park Road (the road that runs down just to the right of no 7), though no23 is right at the other end , some distance away.

View attachment 146699
Thank you..that's an amazingly quick response with such great info attached. I was trying to see if polly kettle was around? She mentioned her GGMA lived at No 11, when my rellies were at no 7.

Hi

Thank you..that's an amazingly quick response with such great info attached. I was trying to see if polly kettle was around? She mentioned her GGMA lived at No 11, when my rellies were at no 7.
And so sorry to hear everyone's photos were hacked..just so sad

The 1890 and 1892 directories list a Richard H.Smith, commercial traveler living at no 11. No 7 is not listed in 1890 , but has Harry Ellis in the 1892 edition. The dates are publication dates and usually taken to refer to the year before, though an exact time cannot be known. In general only those with businesses, official status or were well off were listed in directories at this time

Hi. in the 60/70s there was a small house in school lane shard end that had a parlour shop/front room. .we called it the kiosk.

I lived in something similar for almost the entire 1950s. Dad went to work, and Mum ran the shop, while my brother and I concentrated on growing up. The shop was slightly more than a front room and possibly could not have supported a family, but on top of Dad’s money provided a pleasant life with few concerns about paying bills. I am sorry it wasn’t within the B’ham boundary, but since my memory of those times is good, I hope this is of interest.

The premises was a Butler’s Brewery (Wolverhampton) tied house, with three storied living accommodation with seven bedrooms and an indoor bathroom plus an outside loo. There was a large lean to kitchen, with two storerooms leading off, a brick and glass greenhouse, and two large stables with haylofts above. As this was before the days of such places as B & Q, Dad started a timber business, selling timber cut to length, either planed or rough. The stock was bought in from merchants and collected by Dad in a trailer behind his car. 12 foot planks were delivered by the suppliers and stored through a trapdoor between the stable and the hayloft.

I think that the place might have been a small commercial hotel in the past as the doors on the (unused) top floor rooms had numbers screwed to them. There was a cellar beneath the shop, with appropriate built up stillages for barrels, and a beer engine in the shop, which Mum had removed to provide more counter space as the pumps stirred up the beer in the small barrels causing complaints about cloudy beer from the jug sales customers. Apart from the beer, she sold anything from biscuits, (Elkes of Uttoxeter), sweets and chocolate from Wilcox’s of Burton, and “Old Betty Plant’s” of Stoke, and general goods like washing powder and such bought from Belding’s of Walsall. Mum was always favoured with a visit from one of the Beldings for her order. Cigarettes, tobacco and “twist” came via Dobson of Stafford, and the relatively few perishable items were provided by Price and Webb in Stafford. I think that these wholesale businesses and their like must have now all disappeared as things changed in the 60s. Pop came from Corona, and was sold off the back of their lorry, no advance ordering but a monthly account as a trader.

One final recollection, the great day that the freezer arrived. Midland Counties Dairy from W’ton, eager to encourage ice cream sales, provided a freezer and Mum, ever the entrepreneur, expanded her empire to include frozen peas and fish fingers as well. My brother and I were almost in heaven at the thought of limitless ice cream, but we were kept on a very tight rein!

Last edited:
Back