• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shops in King Edwards Road

Bbithell

I am researching my relative Richard Bithell and have found an entry in Kelly's Directory. He is listed in 1908 as a shopkeepr at 114 King Edwards Road. This fits with what I know about him. Can anyone point me to any details about shops in the road at that time or maybe any photos please?

Below is a map,c1950 showing the position of 114 King Edwards Road in red. There are two photographs, taken at different times, but after the period you are interested in, both post war but pre 1960, the first before the second one , which was probably late 1950s. (by 1961 it was a turf accountants).

map c1950 showing 114 King Edwards Road.jpg

Garbett Street  and King Edward Rd Ladywood.jpgGarbett Street Ladywood.jpg

Below is a map,c1950 showing the position of 114 King Edwards Road in red. There are two photographs, taken at different times, but after the period you are interested in, both post war but pre 1960, the first before the second one , which was probably late 1950s. (by 1961 it was a turf accountants).

View attachment 153557

View attachment 153558View attachment 153559
Thank you Mikajee, that is most appreciated. Would it be likely that he rented this shop? I ask as I've also found a Richard Bithell at 92 Bacchus Street in 1904, if renting, was it unusual to move around like this?

Don't want to go off thread but the signs on the side of that shop bring back so many memories. Reckitts Blue and Cherry Blossom, [wonder why it was called that?]

Back