• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newtown Row . Shops/back to backs between miller st and moorsom st

Hi,
Im trying to piece together some info on and if possible get a picture of the row of shops/back to backs between miller st and moorsom st, newtown. They fronted newtown row and backed onto the bus depot yard.
My family lived at 2/177 newtown row before ww2 and were there for a good few years after the war.
Id like to find how long the building survived, as i know the miller st end of the block was still there into the 80s, but the photo is too blurry to see the opposite end.
To see a picture of the building would be great, although i think not likely.

I have come across a picture that has a possible view of the row in it but im having trouble placing the pub/bank that is the main feature of the photo, if anyone could identify it it would help me pin point wether im in the right place!

Any help on any of this.is much appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201226-105554.png
    Screenshot_20201226-105554.png
    329 KB · Views: 33
Well that has certainly changed things a bit! Im was under the impression( from a trade directory page) that 177 was almost at the corner of moorsom st.
If it was in the middle of the row then it would have been in the part that survived into the 80s, which i do have a picture of

This might be of interest here

Hi,
Im trying to piece together some info on and if possible get a picture of the row of shops/back to backs between miller st and moorsom st, newtown. They fronted newtown row and backed onto the bus depot yard.
My family lived at 2/177 newtown row before ww2 and were there for a good few years after the war.
Id like to find how long the building survived, as i know the miller st end of the block was still there into the 80s, but the photo is too blurry to see the opposite end.
To see a picture of the building would be great, although i think not likely.

I have come across a picture that has a possible view of the row in it but im having trouble placing the pub/bank that is the main feature of the photo, if anyone could identify it it would help me pin point wether im in the right place!

Any help on any of this.is much appreciated

On 24 Dec 2011 Astoness showed this (photobucket) photo on this forum with the comment:
This is the best shot i have seen of the bank that was on the corner of newtown row and milton st...bartons arms pub in the distance.. dated 1967

So not near Miller st & Moorsom st junction (Bank at approx 302/4 Newtown Row)

Last edited:
So close considering the last one pictured is only 2 houses away.
It looks as though it was demolished around the time of the rest of the area then.

Many thanks for the help and for clearing up exactly where 177 was.

On the map provided by RobT, all the back to backs are numbered in the relevant courts but behind 177 seems to be a big empty space!
Am i looking at it wrongly or does it seem as though there are no houses behind 177?

and just to add to robs 1953 map here is the 1950 map which also shows that by then the back houses of 177 had gone...possibly bomb damage as newtown row was hit also posting the 1956 kellys directory

lyn
newtown row 1956 kellys.jpg

newtown row 177 1950.jpg

Last edited:
Back