• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shopping Near Guildford Street

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
As a child in Guildford Street, his bedroom was above an empty shop. It had been a drapers, a grocers, a bakers and even a printers. But not for many years.

Looking through his bedroom window, across the road were only houses.

Around the corner in Farm Street, the shops were busy and thriving. Within a few hundred yards two grocers, a butchers, fishmongers, two green grocers and a news agent. When shopping with his mother at the fishmongers he always felt the presence of the boy that had died nearby after being caught in the wheels of a lorry.

He preferred it when his mother went to the larger shopping area in Newtown Row, a few more streets away. While she stood in the queue at the butchers he would go down the alley behind the shop and watch the blacksmith shoe the horses.

There were several butchers, two small apartment stores, tailors, chemists, newsagents and so on. Even a theatre where he saw Laurel and Hardy, the year before Oliver Hardy died. There was a shoe shop where he later bought his blue suede shoes which were then known as Brothel Creepers.

But that was then. Now he looked out of his window above a different empty shop in a different city, in another time.

Mike Ingram

smashing mike thanks..i could read these sort of memories all day long

lyn

Back