• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shop - can you identify please

Ade. The photo was from here. Viv.

Attachments

• 2A8C7E71-BDDD-4A6E-B03B-26E690F90359.jpeg
    2A8C7E71-BDDD-4A6E-B03B-26E690F90359.jpeg
    435.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Appreciate
Reactions: ade
Hi, having spent a little time on it this morning, I feel sure it is indeed Murdochs, in the Murdoch & Pitman Buildings, where Dixy is seen in the following picture. There is still an 'address' plaque in the doorway to the left, a shadow from the small sculpture over the doorway and as has been said before, there is a mirror to the left of the shop front (you can see the variations in the tape line in the mirror)

Pitman-Building.jpg

Last edited:
I would agree with Curly post 33.....checking out my Kellys 1940, next door was the City of Birmingham Friendly Society ...you can just make out the sign in the photo....

I did suggest a side street off either New Street or Corporation Street in my Post 8. Admittedly it was based on a long while ago, but concave windows were no that prolific in the city.

Well here is Murdochs in the Pitman building next door to Harry Parkes, but no sign of the elusive bowed window,

City Corporation Street 8[1].jpg

There is the possibility that the shop front was changed with new owners or new shop frontages fitted. Viviennes news cutting is 1939 and my recollection around 1950 give or take a year. The style of the Harry Parkes shop looks distinctively 1960's, Curly's photo seems an up to date one. The bus stop posts are also a post war more modern style, with curved top, rather than the original upright ones, but I don't know when those new stops were introduced. I have the impression that the curved top posts allowed the post t be sighted at the kerb rather than partway into the pavement. I suggest given the thousands of bus stop signs in the city it would take some for the changeover. The older style were still to be seen in the 1960's.

Last edited:
Again, looking at the original photo I still say that the shop front window is NOT curved but is a normal flat front. It is the rear of the window display area that is curved and that is the surface on which the tape is attached.

I have found a picture on Lee Longlands website and it definitely shows a curved window.lee two.jpg
sorry picture isn't as good as it should be but if you go to their website it may be clearer.

Maybe Uri Geller had a window cleaning round before he became famous hence the curved window :):)

Back