• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shoes

Never wear suede shoes at a wedding as they do not come out well in photographs. I wore a pair of new hush puppies (brushed suede) in this highly cropped photograph of 1964. You can see that they look quite grubby compared to the polished shoes worn by the groom. I did receive an adverse comment from the bride. Such shame at an early age. Dave.
.P1000814 (3).JPG

there are 2 new pairs in my cupboard never raced or rally'd been in there since 1970 some one bought them me and they were too small, i did not have the heart to hurt there feelings
View attachment 172820
Pete, those styles are very trendy at least in the US. I think Nike acquired the Converse brand and many teen and twenties are wearing them as a fashion statement! You are back in style!

I love those sort of shoes, had some in the past, unfortunately I don't find them comfortable now due to my bunions - they rub my toes :laughing:
Advice to all teenage girls, forget the fashions and look after your feet you'll be glad you did when all your school mates in their thirties and up have bunions but you're still striding out in comfort. :)

My Dad used to repair all our shoes, usually after we had run out of cardboard to put in them when there was a big hole. No, it was usually when he had enough money to buy some shoe leather. He was very good at it. I only threw out the last from our garage a few months ago.
From that comes the question as to whether anyone has a photo of Griffiths shoe repairers on Slade road. I went to school with one of his sons whose name escapes me. If I remember right the shop was just before Fentham Road going towards Stockland Green. There was a double fronted shop next door that I think sold electrical goods

I remember queueing with mum for Daily Mail shoes, Tuff slip-ons (iirc) for the winter and school.

Black 'Pumps' or sandals were usually worn in the summer.

These days it's Sketchers Go-Walk series, like walking on marshmallows.

Do you remember your early shoes? I distinctly remember having a pair of these:

View attachment 85116

I used to be taken to nearby Perry Barr to the England's shoe shop to get my feet measured in one of those X-ray machines. I thought the machine was terrifying, not unlike a visit to the dentists. I remember getting several pairs of these sandals at different times as I grew. My favourite ones were dark red, but I also had a white pair with white crepe soles. And they were so comfy too. Viv.
Oh yes, I had exactly the same pair every summer during my early school days in the 1950s. My mother took me up to a shop in Birmingham city centre which I think was called 'Days'.

Oh yes, I had exactly the same pair every summer during my early school days in the 1950s. My mother took me up to a shop in Birmingham city centre which I think was called 'Days'.
I'm not sure I had those exact ones, but lots of people did. You see them worn by children in in Ladybird books, too.

I also have one, it's a good doorstop now but I've mended many pairs on it over the years.
I liked Scholl sandals, probably couldn't walk in them now! My father didn't like the noise flip-flips make. I find Crocs comfortable for "around the house" instead of floppy slippers.
I had some (nylon) fur slippers when I was little but the fur shed everywhere. Grandad's were brown tartan with brown pompoms.
rosie.

I also have one, it's a good doorstop now but I've mended many pairs on it over the years.
I liked Scholl sandals, probably couldn't walk in them now! My father didn't like the noise flip-flips make. I find Crocs comfortable for "around the house" instead of floppy slippers.
I had some (nylon) fur slippers when I was little but the fur shed everywhere. Grandad's were brown tartan with brown pompoms.
rosie.

I have three of those lasts, everyone different.
I also had Scholl sandals and a pair of their clogs. I don't know if the sandals are made now.

Mom always bought me TUF shoes i think they were pretty hard wearing from memory, and to complete the set up, HJ Indestructable socks, still got scuffs on the shoe fronts from footballing and the usual clip around the ear.

Back