• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shoes

I had some lovely soft pale suede boots, the only reason I could afford them was because they had been on show and they were slightly different colours! There was a stall on Smethwick Market for "seconds" and sample shoes, they were quite cheap too.
rosie,
I had loads and loads of shoes from the shoe stall in Cape Hill market, especially high heels. They were really reasonably priced and you could always find something unusual or very fashionable. When I started my 5th year at school, we changed the colour of our uniforms to navy blue skirts and jumpers or cardigans and white or pink blouses, I found the most gorgeous pair of pink shoes with about a inch heel that I occasionally wore to school with cream tights.

I don't wear completely flat shoes, because as you say Lynne and Maria, they are not good for your back either and having very high arched feet means they become uncomfortable very quickly. I normally wear about 1/2 to 1" heel as that is most comfortable .

I had loads and loads of shoes from the shoe stall in Cape Hill market, especially high heels. They were really reasonably priced and you could always find something unusual or very fashionable. When I started my 5th year at school, we changed the colour of our uniforms to navy blue skirts and jumpers or cardigans and white or pink blouses, I found the most gorgeous pair of pink shoes with about a inch heel that I occasionally wore to school with cream tights.

I don't wear completely flat shoes, because as you say Lynne and Maria, they are not good for your back either and having very high arched feet means they become uncomfortable very quickly. I normally wear about 1/2 to 1" heel as that is most comfortable .
Hi SmethwickGirl, I do like the sound of your pink school shoes! Unfortunately I went to a strict Grammar School and it was black shoes or black shoes! We couldn't even wear tights until we were starting 4th year...age 14...knee high socks were derigeur until then!
Lynn.

I’ve only just seen this thread, and I was intrigued to see a photo of the Timpsons Soho road branch. My father was a Timpsons manager for many years, and Soho road was his last shop before he was forced to retire in 1965 due to poor health. He worked for Timpsons from leaving school to the age of 47 (with a 6 year break due to the war), and he loved his job. Timpsons was (and still is) a family run firm, but came out of shoe retailing some years ago. At their peak they had their own factories in Manchester and Northampton.

Shoes today, are of course, all made overseas, and while often well constructed, have very inconsistent sizing, even those from the same brand. I can remember seeing my dad measuring feet, and this was always done if requested. I can’t remember seeing any x-ray machines though!

I’ve only just seen this thread, and I was intrigued to see a photo of the Timpsons Soho road branch. My father was a Timpsons manager for many years, and Soho road was his last shop before he was forced to retire in 1965 due to poor health. He worked for Timpsons from leaving school to the age of 47 (with a 6 year break due to the war), and he loved his job. Timpsons was (and still is) a family run firm, but came out of shoe retailing some years ago. At their peak they had their own factories in Manchester and Northampton.

Shoes today, are of course, all made overseas, and while often well constructed, have very inconsistent sizing, even those from the same brand. I can remember seeing my dad measuring feet, and this was always done if requested. I can’t remember seeing any x-ray machines though!
Enel, your comment on sizing is right on point. I always wore dress shoes to work after my apprenticeship and found regardless of the brand the only size is the one that fits! You had better try both shoes on before you buy!

I think it's about time I stuck my oar in now , in the the early seventies once you'd walked across the bridge on the Smallbrook Ringway toward the indoor market . Individual empty shop units were there , one of which was a shoe retailer as such . The shoes they sold were imperfect ie, stitching not up to par etc , I bought a couple of pair of boots from there both having a stacked heel (cuban heel) the leather was of various colours . If I didn't like the colour I dyed them black, no one was the wiser

Enel, your comment on sizing is right on point. I always wore dress shoes to work after my apprenticeship and found regardless of the brand the only size is the one that fits! You had better try both shoes on before you buy!

Sizing isn't always standard between brands. Would it be something to do with 'continental sizes,' where it goes a bit odd around ladies' size 6? (A bit vague, sorry!)

Luuuuurve those Greek dance shoes Maria. Very like our ‘jazz’ shoes. I have moleskin tap shoes and after 8 years they still stink. But you sort of get used to the smell.

A couple of years ago I broke a toe (the teeny weeny one that went “wee, wee, wee all the way home”) and because I couldn’t wear regular shoes, I bought some Crocs sandals. Well I haven’t looked back for summer footwear. I buy the ladies sandals (not the clumpy ones) are they’re a dream to wear. And, of course, ideal for the beach here. And apparently they’re fashionable ! Viv.

Luuuuurve those Greek dance shoes Maria. Very like our ‘jazz’ shoes. I have moleskin tap shoes and after 8 years they still stink. But you sort of get used to the smell.

A couple of years ago I broke a toe (the teeny weeny one that went “wee, wee, wee all the way home”) and because I couldn’t wear regular shoes, I bought some Crocs sandals. Well I haven’t looked back for summer footwear. I buy the ladies sandals (not the clumpy ones) are they’re a dream to wear. And, of course, ideal for the beach here. And apparently they’re fashionable ! Viv.
Viv
I broke my foot being nosy. i opened a door to a box on tamworth station.it fell on my foot. so i wore a trendy boot for weeks
1606653710336.png

I also like jazz shoes and tap shoes, Viv!
Didn't know Crocs did sandals - I must have a look.

Back