• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shocking Coil

Ray Griffiths

master brummie
View attachment 129512View attachment 129512View attachment 129512

Hi Folks These two pictures show a shocking which would have been attached to a battery my Dad bought it convince it would help with his pains.

He would spent some time holding the 2 hand pieces and you would see his arm jumping.

Picture 2 was the trick he used to play on us as kids, he'd put a coin into a bowl of water and you would hold 1 hand piece and the other hand piece would be inserted into water which you had to put your hand in to retrieve the coin .

shocking-coil-2.jpgshocking-coil-1.jpg

That pic takes me back because long ago I had a toy electric 'Shocking Machine' for Christmas it came in a nice coloured box.

Just like the one in the pic it had two metal handles connected by wires to a coil to which a large battery was connected. The level of shock was adjusted by moving a plunger within the coil and it could be set to give a shock level which made your arms jerk about and ache, you could hardly let go of the handles. We used to see who could stand the largest shocks. It seems unbelievable now and I suppose Santa has been stopped from bringing them these days..

My Dad also said it helped with his rheumatism.
:)

I thought like you Health & Safety would stop any sale today, it showed parents had contact with their children different age.

Was that the forerunner of the TENS machines?

Chris
I used a Tens machine for a while. My wife thought it funny to turn the settings up & hear me yelp. I got my own back when i unleashed a stink bomb when she was in the shower, she didn`t find that funny!:innocent:

Foreman at the garage I worked for used to grab your hand then one of the cars plug leads with the engine running, boy did we jump.

Back