• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shirley Swifts Football Team

JennyM1966

I'm putting together a photobook for my dad's 80th so I'm scanning in a lot of old photos. Does anyone else remember the Shirley Swifts Football Team - used to play on the recreation ground on Green Lane I think. I attach a photo from 1960-1 season for anyone who is interested. My dad is the one with the ball, Barry Coombes.

Attachments

• ShirleySwifts60-61.2.jpg
    ShirleySwifts60-61.2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Used to play in Solihull U21 league at about that time for Wilmot Breeden Apprentices. I think Shirley Swifts were one of the other teams.

Cliff Joiner was the photographer who either worked for or took photos for the then Solihull News (formerly the County News). I am not sure where their archives are but Solihull Library might be able to help. I would imagine there might have been match reports.
This is not the free paper of a similar name.

(I met Cliff Joiner when I was about 8 as he lived in the same road as my Nan at one time).

Back