• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shirley Swifts Football Team

JennyM1966

I'm putting together a photobook for my dad's 80th so I'm scanning in a lot of old photos. Does anyone else remember the Shirley Swifts Football Team - used to play on the recreation ground on Green Lane I think. I attach a photo from 1960-1 season for anyone who is interested. My dad is the one with the ball, Barry Coombes.

Attachments

devonjim

master brummie
Used to play in Solihull U21 league at about that time for Wilmot Breeden Apprentices. I think Shirley Swifts were one of the other teams.

pjmburns

master brummie
Cliff Joiner was the photographer who either worked for or took photos for the then Solihull News (formerly the County News). I am not sure where their archives are but Solihull Library might be able to help. I would imagine there might have been match reports.
This is not the free paper of a similar name.

(I met Cliff Joiner when I was about 8 as he lived in the same road as my Nan at one time).