• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ship Inn Lozells

thanks pedro..phil and mike for the info and maps...thats a bit more for me to digest...

well bob i cant go back that far but apart from the very few well off and from what i remember living around there 58 to 72 no the whole area was far from well off including all of my family...just going back to no 123 which was the gunmakers the sister of a friend of mine ran that pub during the 70s and it really is massive inside

lyn

thanks pedro..phil and mike for the info and maps...thats a bit more for me to digest...

well bob i cant go back that far but apart from the very few well off and from what i remember living around there 58 to 72 no the whole area was far from well off including all of my family...just going back to no 123 which was the gunmakers the sister of a friend of mine ran that pub during the 70s and it really is massive inside

lyn
Thanks, only saw what was on the page on the Post, but if it was business, no doubt they had help. My Nan who lived in Queens Road off Slade Road had a maid who came in daily up until about 1947, then she took in two male lodgers who worked at GEC, John who had a Scott Squirrel motor bike and Ted Grubb who she later married. Granddad had died in 1946.
Bob

For information...The Ship Inn in Fox Street was Holts Brewery as they did not object to it being described as a "poor house" when up for license.

The Ship at Camp Hill is nearly always referred to as The Ship Hotel.

hi pedro looking at this map i can see two pubs in fox st one not on a corner the other one on the corner of duddeston row and fox st...do you know which pub was the ship inn please..thanks..oops sorry mike said in an earlier post the ship inn at fox st was at no 27 and was not on a corner but as you said it was a holts pub just a coinsidence then

lyn

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.4820&lon=-1.8895&layers=168&b=1

Last edited:
A35B0AF7-F169-47C0-8C36-25B8A5B642F3.jpeg
hi pedro looking at this map i can see two pubs in fox st one not on a corner the other one on the corner of duddeston row and fox st...do you know which pub was the ship inn please..thanks..oops sorry mike said in an earlier post the ship inn at fox st was at no 27 and was not on a corner but as you said it was a holts pub just a coinsidence then

lyn

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.4820&lon=-1.8895&layers=168&b=1

1899 Kelly

The Fox PH was at number 11 and the Ship in at 27....the description of fox Street say from 9 Buck Street to 47 Duddeston Row

thank you pedro so looking at that this ship inn was definately not on a corner...i am having a problem at the min getting my kellys discs to come up on the lappy:rolleyes: will try and sort it out tomorrow

Hi everyone, Lyn got in touch via e-mail as she was keen to resolve this pub issue. I have been so busy I have not logged into the forum for a while so was not aware of this pub query.

Come on you lot – all the clues are in this thread already! This looks like a postcard photograph of the Ship Inn [OK I guess to use it on my website]. This type of photograph did not appear until 1905. The Kelly’s trade directory for that year lists Mrs. Susan Hunt at No.125 Gerrard Street. This was a beer house NOT a fully licensed public house. Mrs. Susan Hunt is also listed at this address in the 1906 and 1907 Kelly’s directories. To clear up the Birmingham/Manchester Holt issue – the trademark squirrel of the Aston brewery [later adopted by Ansell’s] can be seen in the etched glass window panes. The property has a pitched roof but is hidden by the wooden bargeboard advertising that was prevalent during this period. More importantly, the scrolled pediment, part of the brewery’s wooden façade to include the ripping out of the old windows etc., can be seen in the colour photograph posted by Lyn. This also shows the angled corner of the building which Lyn quite rightly points out was sub-divided for later use. Oh, in addition, I am posting an advertisement from 1881 which shows the pub name and both street names.

Attachments

• gerrard-street-ship-inn-pianist-advertisement-1881.jpg
    gerrard-street-ship-inn-pianist-advertisement-1881.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 21
hi kieron i also noticed what i thought was a scrolled pediment in my colour photo but could not be sure with my eyes lol...also thought that 139 and 1/2 wilton st shown on the map on post 12 may have been part of the pub as well...it was really the only way that this pub could have been at this location as there was so much of it on the wilton st side... i am so chuffed to find yet another bit of history to add to my old end folder..just goes to show that we never stop finding things out...cant see any probs putting the photo on your pubs site kieron and many thanks for the information and confirming the location...

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
I have cleaned it up a bit for your folder Lyn - only working with the uploaded file not the original so not too great ...

Attachments

• Ship-Inn.jpg
    Ship-Inn.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 28
thats a nice improvement thanks kieron will print it off for my old end folder....:):)

lyn

As you can see from the advertisement I uploaded, this business was known as the Ship Inn during 1881. However, what about this sale notice dating from June 1870?

Attachments

• gerrard-street-barley-mow-tavern-13-06-1870.jpg
    gerrard-street-barley-mow-tavern-13-06-1870.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 28
now that is also interesting kieron yes its also the ship inn on the 1881 census....do you think the barley mow was on that same corner as the ship inn and had a name change or could it have been on the opposite corner where the gunmakers still stands..trying to recall info i read in a book about the gunmakers..think it was rebuilt in the early 1900s so i think there was a gunmakers there for quite a while before the rebuild in which case i would say it was the ship inn that used to be called the barley mow...fascinating thanks to til for posting the photo ..the location of it was on the corner of 125 gerrard st and wilton st lozells birmingham

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
In the 1872 directory the Gunmakers is listed under Mary Bennett. There is not mention of a beerseller next door. She is also there in 1868, but in 1868 Wilton St does not seem to strecg as far as Gerrard St, though lower parts are listed

mike thank you ..i thought there was a gunmakers there before the one we see now and this confirms that the ship inn was previously called the barley mow...maybe wilton st had not been completed by 1868...what would i do without the members of this forum...thanks everyone:)

Note in the sale notice that I uploaded that a 94 year lease for the land was signed in September 1843. Properties would have gone up soon after as rent revenues would have to be raised to pay the lease.

I have Thomas W. Clements at the Barley Mow Tavern in 1867, according to the Post Office directory of that year.

Kieron
The detail on the Barley Mow is not in my copy (on disc) of the 1867 PO directory. The entry in the trade section for Barley Mow is below and does not list him there. The entry for Wilton St lists him, but no pub name, and under the commercial section he is just listed as a beer retailer in Wilton St. The information as to him being at the Barley Mow must have come from somewhere else (licensing records?)

Attachments

• Barley Mows in po directory 1967.jpg
    Barley Mows in po directory 1967.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 7
  • wilton st 1967 po directory.jpg
    wilton st 1967 po directory.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 8
Hi Mike, I got the name from a newspaper item of same year - talking of which, I find a Mrs Jones was running the place in 1860 so we can go back even further. Cheers, Kieron

In White's 1855 Directory both Gerrard Street (Wheeler Street) and Wilton Street (Gerrard Street) are mentioned.

Also in 1855, White's the list of Hotels, Inns and Taverns only includes one Barley Mow and that is Ann Greaves, Tanter Street. One Gunmaker's Arms being James Hill, 92 Bath Street.

Ship, John Bennett, Camp Hill.
Ship, James Smith, 103 Steelhouse Lane

[Added later...The above is for Birmingham and not including Aston!]

Last edited:
The above info for Birmingham is easier to find than that of Aston, but notice that a John Middleton is a vict, Gun Makers Arms, Gerrard Street.

There is a John Jordon, retail Brewer, Wilton Street

index.php

Mr. Steed at No. 200 is listed as a shoe clicker:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_and_shoe_clicker

so we now have a ref for the gunmakers gerrard st in 1855 and a ref for the barley mow (later to become the ship inn)gerrard st/wilton st in 1860

many thanks to everyone

lyn

Wilton Street, Lozell’s Lane
Lozell’s Lane, Wheeler Street

Are mentioned in Wrightsons Triennial Directory of Birmingham of 1839

thanks kieron...i cant keep up with all this info:D have learned such a lot i am going to have to start another old end folder soon

lyn

Can anyone help with information on this pub please?
The Ship Inn . It was a Holt Brewery Pub
I had to restore an old photo and was asked if I could get any information.
On the back of the photo it had Birmingham? written.
thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210328-152851_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210328-152851_Facebook.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210328-153300_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210328-153300_Facebook.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 13
Can anyone help with information on this pub please?
The Ship Inn . It was a Holt Brewery Pub
I had to restore an old photo and was asked if I could get any information.
On the back of the photo it had Birmingham? written.
thank you
I'm told this is The Ship Inn ( circled) Screenshot_20210328-153300_Facebook.jpg

Back