• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ship Inn Lozells

As you can see from the advertisement I uploaded, this business was known as the Ship Inn during 1881. However, what about this sale notice dating from June 1870?

Attachments

• gerrard-street-barley-mow-tavern-13-06-1870.jpg
    gerrard-street-barley-mow-tavern-13-06-1870.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 26
now that is also interesting kieron yes its also the ship inn on the 1881 census....do you think the barley mow was on that same corner as the ship inn and had a name change or could it have been on the opposite corner where the gunmakers still stands..trying to recall info i read in a book about the gunmakers..think it was rebuilt in the early 1900s so i think there was a gunmakers there for quite a while before the rebuild in which case i would say it was the ship inn that used to be called the barley mow...fascinating thanks to til for posting the photo ..the location of it was on the corner of 125 gerrard st and wilton st lozells birmingham

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
In the 1872 directory the Gunmakers is listed under Mary Bennett. There is not mention of a beerseller next door. She is also there in 1868, but in 1868 Wilton St does not seem to strecg as far as Gerrard St, though lower parts are listed

mike thank you ..i thought there was a gunmakers there before the one we see now and this confirms that the ship inn was previously called the barley mow...maybe wilton st had not been completed by 1868...what would i do without the members of this forum...thanks everyone:)

Note in the sale notice that I uploaded that a 94 year lease for the land was signed in September 1843. Properties would have gone up soon after as rent revenues would have to be raised to pay the lease.

I have Thomas W. Clements at the Barley Mow Tavern in 1867, according to the Post Office directory of that year.

Kieron
The detail on the Barley Mow is not in my copy (on disc) of the 1867 PO directory. The entry in the trade section for Barley Mow is below and does not list him there. The entry for Wilton St lists him, but no pub name, and under the commercial section he is just listed as a beer retailer in Wilton St. The information as to him being at the Barley Mow must have come from somewhere else (licensing records?)

Attachments

• Barley Mows in po directory 1967.jpg
    Barley Mows in po directory 1967.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 6
  • wilton st 1967 po directory.jpg
    wilton st 1967 po directory.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 7
Hi Mike, I got the name from a newspaper item of same year - talking of which, I find a Mrs Jones was running the place in 1860 so we can go back even further. Cheers, Kieron

In White's 1855 Directory both Gerrard Street (Wheeler Street) and Wilton Street (Gerrard Street) are mentioned.

Also in 1855, White's the list of Hotels, Inns and Taverns only includes one Barley Mow and that is Ann Greaves, Tanter Street. One Gunmaker's Arms being James Hill, 92 Bath Street.

Ship, John Bennett, Camp Hill.
Ship, James Smith, 103 Steelhouse Lane

[Added later...The above is for Birmingham and not including Aston!]

Last edited:
The above info for Birmingham is easier to find than that of Aston, but notice that a John Middleton is a vict, Gun Makers Arms, Gerrard Street.

There is a John Jordon, retail Brewer, Wilton Street

index.php

Mr. Steed at No. 200 is listed as a shoe clicker:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_and_shoe_clicker

so we now have a ref for the gunmakers gerrard st in 1855 and a ref for the barley mow (later to become the ship inn)gerrard st/wilton st in 1860

many thanks to everyone

lyn

Wilton Street, Lozell’s Lane
Lozell’s Lane, Wheeler Street

Are mentioned in Wrightsons Triennial Directory of Birmingham of 1839

thanks kieron...i cant keep up with all this info:D have learned such a lot i am going to have to start another old end folder soon

lyn

Can anyone help with information on this pub please?
The Ship Inn . It was a Holt Brewery Pub
I had to restore an old photo and was asked if I could get any information.
On the back of the photo it had Birmingham? written.
thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210328-152851_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210328-152851_Facebook.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210328-153300_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210328-153300_Facebook.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 13
Can anyone help with information on this pub please?
The Ship Inn . It was a Holt Brewery Pub
I had to restore an old photo and was asked if I could get any information.
On the back of the photo it had Birmingham? written.
thank you
I'm told this is The Ship Inn ( circled) Screenshot_20210328-153300_Facebook.jpg

Back