• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ship Inn Lozells

Had looked at 1911, and remembered it did not name pub, but could not remember what it said. It lists Samuel Heth, beerhouse manager.
In 1891 it is John Marshall, licensed victualler, with no name, and here the numbering continues 127,.....
In 1881 it is James Allen, beerhouse keeper at the Ship Inn (attached)
1881.warw.aston.eerd.dist.10.p.27.jpg

thanks very much mike looking like the ship inn was there then ..could i just ask for an earlier 1880s please..i want to see the shape of the building on the wilton st side because on the 1950s map you posted it does not look long enough for a pub with at least 4 large windows and a door.. unless of course no 139 and a half wilton (showing on the 1950 map) was at some point part of the pub in which case the shape and size would i think be about right..

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
Unfortunately no 125 is on the border of two maps in the large scale c1889 series, the upper portion of which is not on the oldmaps site. However, enough is shown to show that the building length in Gerrard St is longer than shown on the later map
map c1889 showing part of 125 gerrard st.jpg

ok thanks mike so we cant get an idea of the length of the building on the wilton st side then...leave it with me mike i will do some more research because as this is of interest to me i want to try to make sure about this pub...ive been researching the old end for many years now and this is the first time i have heard of the ship inn or seen a photo so before i write it up i need to be absolutely certain that the info and location is correct...if it is correct this is a very old pub..bit of a georgian syle especially with the flat roof and not unlike the whitehouse at NJSW which i think dates to around 1830 ish

lyn

ahh thanks pedro do you have a street number for the charles henry st ship inn??...the waters get muddier and that has just thrown yet more info into the melting pot...busy now but i am going to get back to this tonight..no doubt there was a ship inn beer retailer at 125 gerrard st as the 1881 and 1901 census tells us that but at the min i dont think the ship inn on post 1 was at gerrard st...would love it if it was though as that would be another pub from down the old end that i can put in my old end folder:)

the other thing i was wondering is on post 1 til has said that on the back of the photo it says birmingham ? if the ? is actually written on the back then whoever wrote that is only guessing it could be a birmingham pub....unless of course til is asking us that question...

thanks again pedro

lyn

Last edited:
There are about 3 other inns mentioned for Chas Henry St, but this is the only one I can find concerning the Ship...a Fowl Crime

F013C865-899F-4DFF-B66F-49B57D34685D.jpeg

In 1912 & 1913 I have located Susan Hunt (name over the door in photo) at 33 Freeman Street Nechells. Number 33 does not tie in with any of the fully licenced pubs that I remember from that location the Stork and The Britannia. So 33 must have been a single house sized building, obviously not the pub in the photo.

Had looked at 1911, and remembered it did not name pub, but could not remember what it said. It lists Samuel Heth, beerhouse manager.
In 1891 it is John Marshall, licensed victualler, with no name, and here the numbering continues 127,.....
In 1881 it is James Allen, beerhouse keeper at the Ship Inn (attached)
View attachment 125598
An interesting aside, they must have been quite rich at Number 123, the Boddingtons, because they had a servant and not a young girl, but a 27 year old . Was Gerrard Street a well off street in that era....of course only members of the forum alive at that time can tell me the answer to that.
Bob

thanks pedro..phil and mike for the info and maps...thats a bit more for me to digest...

well bob i cant go back that far but apart from the very few well off and from what i remember living around there 58 to 72 no the whole area was far from well off including all of my family...just going back to no 123 which was the gunmakers the sister of a friend of mine ran that pub during the 70s and it really is massive inside

lyn

thanks pedro..phil and mike for the info and maps...thats a bit more for me to digest...

well bob i cant go back that far but apart from the very few well off and from what i remember living around there 58 to 72 no the whole area was far from well off including all of my family...just going back to no 123 which was the gunmakers the sister of a friend of mine ran that pub during the 70s and it really is massive inside

lyn
Thanks, only saw what was on the page on the Post, but if it was business, no doubt they had help. My Nan who lived in Queens Road off Slade Road had a maid who came in daily up until about 1947, then she took in two male lodgers who worked at GEC, John who had a Scott Squirrel motor bike and Ted Grubb who she later married. Granddad had died in 1946.
Bob

For information...The Ship Inn in Fox Street was Holts Brewery as they did not object to it being described as a "poor house" when up for license.

The Ship at Camp Hill is nearly always referred to as The Ship Hotel.

hi pedro looking at this map i can see two pubs in fox st one not on a corner the other one on the corner of duddeston row and fox st...do you know which pub was the ship inn please..thanks..oops sorry mike said in an earlier post the ship inn at fox st was at no 27 and was not on a corner but as you said it was a holts pub just a coinsidence then

lyn

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.4820&lon=-1.8895&layers=168&b=1

Last edited:
A35B0AF7-F169-47C0-8C36-25B8A5B642F3.jpeg
hi pedro looking at this map i can see two pubs in fox st one not on a corner the other one on the corner of duddeston row and fox st...do you know which pub was the ship inn please..thanks..oops sorry mike said in an earlier post the ship inn at fox st was at no 27 and was not on a corner but as you said it was a holts pub just a coinsidence then

lyn

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.4820&lon=-1.8895&layers=168&b=1

1899 Kelly

The Fox PH was at number 11 and the Ship in at 27....the description of fox Street say from 9 Buck Street to 47 Duddeston Row

thank you pedro so looking at that this ship inn was definately not on a corner...i am having a problem at the min getting my kellys discs to come up on the lappy:rolleyes: will try and sort it out tomorrow

Hi everyone, Lyn got in touch via e-mail as she was keen to resolve this pub issue. I have been so busy I have not logged into the forum for a while so was not aware of this pub query.

Come on you lot – all the clues are in this thread already! This looks like a postcard photograph of the Ship Inn [OK I guess to use it on my website]. This type of photograph did not appear until 1905. The Kelly’s trade directory for that year lists Mrs. Susan Hunt at No.125 Gerrard Street. This was a beer house NOT a fully licensed public house. Mrs. Susan Hunt is also listed at this address in the 1906 and 1907 Kelly’s directories. To clear up the Birmingham/Manchester Holt issue – the trademark squirrel of the Aston brewery [later adopted by Ansell’s] can be seen in the etched glass window panes. The property has a pitched roof but is hidden by the wooden bargeboard advertising that was prevalent during this period. More importantly, the scrolled pediment, part of the brewery’s wooden façade to include the ripping out of the old windows etc., can be seen in the colour photograph posted by Lyn. This also shows the angled corner of the building which Lyn quite rightly points out was sub-divided for later use. Oh, in addition, I am posting an advertisement from 1881 which shows the pub name and both street names.

Attachments

• gerrard-street-ship-inn-pianist-advertisement-1881.jpg
    gerrard-street-ship-inn-pianist-advertisement-1881.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 21
hi kieron i also noticed what i thought was a scrolled pediment in my colour photo but could not be sure with my eyes lol...also thought that 139 and 1/2 wilton st shown on the map on post 12 may have been part of the pub as well...it was really the only way that this pub could have been at this location as there was so much of it on the wilton st side... i am so chuffed to find yet another bit of history to add to my old end folder..just goes to show that we never stop finding things out...cant see any probs putting the photo on your pubs site kieron and many thanks for the information and confirming the location...

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
I have cleaned it up a bit for your folder Lyn - only working with the uploaded file not the original so not too great ...

Attachments

• Ship-Inn.jpg
    Ship-Inn.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 28
thats a nice improvement thanks kieron will print it off for my old end folder....:):)

lyn

Back