• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ship engine factory help needed!

JayGarbett

Hi all, wondering if anybody could possibly help! My Nan told me that during the war her dad (my great grandad, Albert Palmer) worked in a factory building engines for ships. Any ideas where that could have been or any other information? He lived in hay mills small Heath.
Thanks in advance, Jay Garbo

There is this thread, which contains the link Chris has given. It mainly mentions people who worked there.

It might be useful to check the 1939 Register for Albert Palmer, if nothing else to be sure that his actual occupation agrees with his daughter's memory.

There are 94 Albert PALMERs in Birmingham in 1939, so a year of birth or a the street where he was living would be a help.

Maurice :cool:

Jay,

In 1939, he was living in Deakins Road with Florence C Palmer and his occupation was Setter Operator of a Ward Combination Turret Lathe. He was also in the Auxilliary Fire Service, but unfortunately his serfvice number is clipped off the image. His wife was formerly a Sewing Machinist. No employer is listed, but this is normal.

ChrisM's suggestion of Bellis & Morcom is a good one and in one of the many Ladywood books is an advertisement showing one of Archdale's drilling machines being used on a Bellis & Morcom marine engine, if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can dig it out and post it here.

Maurice :)

Back