• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sherbourne Road School

florence butler

master brummie
Can anyone possibly help me with information on Sherbourne Road School? I have my fathers leaving certificate dated 1924 and would love to learn a little of where he spent his school days...Thank you, Florence

This from https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22984&strquery=Birmingham%20schools%20sherbourne

SHERBOURNE ROAD COUNCIL SCHOOL, Balsall Heath. Sherbourne Rd. Bd. Sch. opened 1889 by King's Norton Sch. Bd. for SB, SG, JM, I. Fees 1d.–3d.(22) Enlarged 1891:(21) accom. then 1,462. (1) JM dept. closed 1897. Special sch. opened on site 1903 and manual instruction centre 1906. Reorganized 1930 for SB, JM, I.(21) Closed 1933.(1) Building used as sch. clinic and youth club.(28)

21. Ministry of Education School Files for Birmingham.

22. Ed. 7/128 — preliminary statements for Birmingham schools, arranged under the school numbers used in Board of Education lists

28. Information provided by Birmingham Education Department. Accommodation figures for 1955 relate to January of that year, and those of 1961 to May.

JM Junior Mixed (i.e. boys and girls c. 7–11 years old in one dept.).
SB Senior Boys.
SG Senior Girls.
I Infants,

Back