• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shenley Fields

J

Jacqueline Flavell

Does anyone have any info on Shenley Fields Home.My Mother and her brother and sister were sent there in 1926/7 and I would love to know more about it.Also lady named Miss Kidderminster who my Mother said aws the only person ever to show her kindness there. Thank You:)

Don't know if this is the right place but I found details of this book on Amazon. You may be able to get hold of it via your local library.

The Children's Home Village: One Hundred Years of Memories of the Shenley Field Cottage Homes (Paperback)
Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Brewin Books (19 Oct 1992)
ISBN-10: 185858003X
ISBN-13: 978-1858580036
Synopsis
The Children's Home Village, now demolished, represented an early attempt by the City of Birmingham to house and educate orphans and children in need of care. Jill Plumley's book looks at the Institute itself, teaching staff and its pupils.

Shenly

Dear Beatrice

Thank you so much for that.I will get the book.Thanks again !!

Jacqueline:)

Shenley fields Childrens home (woodcock lane birmingham)

HEllo my names trevor tomkinson and i was in shenley fields from about 1965 untill 1974 i stayed in the trees home first mrs bowes then i was placed in ryedale under mr and mrs stephenson anybody there around that time feel free to contact me

[email protected]

regards
treva2

Hi treva2,
I knew Mr & Mrs Stephenson well, their daughter Marjorie and myself were great friends, and I stayed at Shenley Fields quite a few times after we'd had a night out.

im pleased you had good times then again as a friend you would but as a orphan behind closed doors it was totally different i dont have that many fond memories mr stephenson (jack) was ok but she wasnt even to her staff but hey im alive and ok to talk about my time there if you want
regards
treva2

So sorry you have bad memories of Mr and Mrs Stephenson. As you say, as a friend of their daughter I saw them in a different light, but then, I was lucky and went back to my own home afterwards.

shenley fields homes

Hi Charlie :- i remember marjorie and her husband they had big house out in the country i used to go do some work there they were good to me and i think understood what was going on i also used to play football with her husband i also belive they used to own a antique shop also she had a sister called kathy whom lived in the home we virtually grew up together dont know if there still alive have you heard from them since
regards
treva2

Sorry treva, we lost touch some time ago. I remember Marjorie married Malcolm Perry and they lived in Racecourse Lane, Stourbridge (that would be the big house you remembered) they also had an antiques shop in Belbroughton. I still have a pine trunk that I bought off her. Sadly, Marjorie and Malcolm divorced and I don't know where she's living now - but since she would be the same age as me, I imagine she's still alive! Maybe she went back to Sunderland?

ok thanks charlie i also remember malcolm having something to do with picture framing in digbeth birmingham i used to go help tidy it up and he would take me to st andrews to watch the blues and i havnt stopped since shame they divorced they seemed nice couple dont suppose you know what ever happened to her sister kathy i believe she used to dance in club in birmingham years ago
regards
treva2

Treva2 - I didn't know Kathy well so can't help you, sorry.
Good that Malcolm introduced to B'ham City FC though...we need all the help we can get (lol) !!!!

thanks anyway and as for bcfc were doing ok , if you do remember or get to know anymore let me know im 52 now so its been long time for me but its a place i wont forget
regards
trev

my grandfather was in shenley-fields[1915-1928] as jack-preen, when he married in 1940 he found out his real name was john edward newman also his sister floss lived in the homes also she did service work at marston green [ironing] my grandfather never mentioned the homes,he went to a reunion in 1974, they were in the eveing mail. i have 10, photo,s of this at shenley-field cottage homes.

Hello Christy

My Mom,Aunt and Uncle were at the homes from 1926 until the mid-thirties.

Sadly they have all passed away now and I cant ask questions but I know my Mom hated it..there seemed to be a lot of cruelty and unkindness.She told me about wearing 'Daily Mail' boots which were too big...'you took a step and left the boot behind !!'' I am looking for a book about the homes but cant find it...any ideas?

Thanks

hi every one,my grandfather was 3, in [1915] when he was placed in shenley-fields, i have his[birth-cert] & death-cert & marriage-cert he was placed in care in a differant name[jack-preen] when he got married in 1940 in a catholic chapel he most of been baptisted some where can any body help. HIS REAL NAME WAS JOHN EDWARD NEWMAN, BORN 13/2/1912, HE NEVER KNEW IS DAD HE DIED 1915 & HIS MOTHER SHE MARRIED 7 TIMES YES 7: & DIED IN 1952, AGED 72, BLESS HER,thank,s christy

hi jacqueline, the book is by JILL PLUMLEY [THE CHILDRENS HOMES VILLAGE] jill worked as manager in shenley fields,early 1970,s her book tell,s of life in the homes & peoples own story,s & full of photo,s & it,s history .I GOT my copy off jill her self & signed it for my mom. i do have jill,s phone number in brum, she did suppy some library,s with copy,s[kingsnorton] try them, if not get back to me,OK christy

jacqueline, i went to KEW & PHOTO-COPYED SHENLEY-FIELD,S COTTAGE HOMES REGISTER BOOKS OF PEOPLE WHO LIVED & WORKED THERE [1908-1915] THERE WAS A LOT MORE AS I WAS ONLY LOOKING FOR MY GRANDFATHERS HISTORY. IF YOU DO GET JILL,S BOOK MY GRANDFATHER IS ON PAGE 130, SECOND FROM LEFT SADLY MISSED, OK christy

Thanks Christy

Thats really usefulAny ideas where I can get the book?:)

hi jacqueline, i have spoken to jill plumley who wrote all about [SHENLEY-FIELDS]homes her number is 0121 475 5623 to order your book your family may well be here, best of luck,christy

Thank you so much Christy...thats really kind of you.I'll give her a call and look out for your Grandad when I get the book:)

Back